Merchandise Planning Manager
This role is diverse and dynamic. The Merchandise Planning Manager is responsible for the pre-season and in-season forecasting, financial planning, assortment planning, margin analysis and inventory control to support a significant portion of our business. Will lead, develop and engage a dynamic team of planners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and drive the financial success of a division by meeting sales, margin, inventory, and WOS goals that maximize bottom line profitability.
- Train, develop and mentor a team of planners. Ensure all planner essential functions and deliverables are being met on a timely basis.
- Develop Merchandise Division financial plans putting strategic focus on various levels of hierarchy and brand assortment. Able to develop high level targets and roll up bottoms-up details and drive the reconciliation.
- Collaborate with Buyers, and applicable cross-functional teams to develop high level coordination, and execute calculated strategies that support future financial and product opportunities.
- Lead communication with merchandise and marketing teams, ensuring all promotions are reinforced through inventory management, style selection, and pricing.
- Forecast sales and inventory position on a weekly/monthly/seasonal basis at the division, brand, product group, and style levels.
- Manage inventory health through preseason buying budgets, in season replenishment controls, seasonal sell through targets, and PO receipt flow.
- Monitor and evaluate Open-to-Buy weekly. Provide timely and accurate re-projections based upon current trends to effectively manage inventory. Present OTB plans monthly to executive leadership team.
- Partner with distribution centers on seasonal/monthly/weekly inbound/outbound receipt flow projections.
- Recap business performance, and communicate financial results to cross-functional teams, reviewing variance to plan, deviations to trend, current forecasts, and action plans.
- Create and deliver accurate structured reporting tools that drive improved efficiency, creating standard best practices needed to support the financial success across a multitude of divisions.
- Effectively lead teams of multiple planners and associate planners. Able to give clear and timely feedback to support individual and team development.
- Manage hiring and internal succession plan for team.
- Collaborate on the implementation of new company-wide systems and technologies to assure planning process needs are met. Communicate development needs to support department processes where necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 8+ years of experience in a Planning position, with at least 3 years at an e-commerce company.
- 2+ year(s) of experience managing at least 2 direct reports.
- Proven record of training, developing and getting direct report to next.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with peers and cross-functional teams.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities.
- Able to perform under pressure, organize and prioritize workload to meet deadline.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and strong aptitude to learn technical applications quickly.
- Knowledge of planning software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.