POSITION TITLE: Merchandise Planner
REPORTS TO: Merchandise Planning Manager
BUSINESS/COMPANY/DEPARTMENT: Merchandise Planning
LOCATION: Park City
Backcountry's merchandise planning team has an opening for a Merchandise Planner on its planning team. This position requires excellent analytical skills, retail or e-commerce business experience, and the ability to work well alone and with a team. This role is diverse and dynamic. The Merchandise Planner works with the Buying team and is responsible for preseason and in-season forecasting, assortment planning, pricing, margin analysis and inventory control for our business.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Work with Planning Manager to set Merchandise Division targets, putting strategic focus on Merchandise Group, Product Group, and Brand assortment.
- Communicate and execute product strategies that support category financial objectives, ensuring all promotions are reinforced through inventory management, style selection, and pricing.
- Collaborate with Buying team to drive assortment recommendations, developing brand and key item projections, as well as style count, depth, and sizing for preseason purchasing.
- Operate and own pricing actions, managing the product life cycle, weeks of supply targets, and end of season markdowns to optimize direct profit.
- Recap business performance, reviewing variance to plan and assess any deviations to current trend.
- Forecast sales and inventory position on a weekly/monthly/seasonal basis at the division, brand, product group, and style levels.
- Monitor and evaluate Open-to-Buy weekly with planning and buying teams. Provide timely and accurate re-projections based upon current trends to effectively manage inventory.
- Manage inventory health through pre season buying budgets, in season replenishment controls, seasonal sell through targets, PO receipt flow, and pricing strategies.
- Work with buying teams to drive Closeout purchases that support off price strategies and inventory position.
- Deliver reports as needed – Ex. Weekly Snapshot, Best/Worst Sellers, Inventory Risk, Brands Reviews, etc.
- Manage the financial success of a division by meeting sales, margin, and inventory turn goals.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Requires 3-5 years ecommerce retail experience, knowledge of retail math and attainment of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to work both independently and with a team.
- Able to develop and maintain strong working relationships and communicate well with peers and cross-functional teams.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities.
- Able to perform under pressure, organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and strong aptitude to learn technical applications quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of SQL, Netsuite, Arthur Planning or similar software a plus.
- Retail buying, planning or related analytical experience highly recommended.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.