Staff Software Engineer - Data (REMOTE)
The Staff Software Engineer - Data will provide analytic and strategic technical leadership & support to Backcountry’s Data Team—which is responsible for maintaining the data platform and maturing the analytical capabilities of the org.
They will be a steward of our core platform and data pipelines that power BC's analytical capabilities. They will also use their data expertise to help evolve data models in several components of the data stack and help architect, build, and launch scalable data pipelines to support BC's growing data processing and analytics needs. Their efforts will allow access to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of data to fuel the vision and needs of various partner teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with functional & business leaders & teams, and work closely with the Data Engineering team & Managers to enable decision support and key insights across the org.
- Work with a team of high-performing analytics, data science , data engineering professionals, and cross-functional teams to identify business opportunities, monitor data platform performance and optimize analytical capabilities.
- Build and maintain the infrastructure required for optimal transformation and integration from a wide variety of data sources using appropriate data integration technologies. Deploy pipelines using scheduling and orchestration frameworks.
- Build data expertise, act like a data owner & steward for the org and manage complex data systems for the BC Data team.
- Take ownership of core data pipelines that power BC's analytical metrics.
- Use data expertise to help evolve data models in several components of the data stack & help architect, build, and launch scalable data pipelines to support BC's growing data processing and analytics needs.
- Implements data governance practices in partnership with business stakeholders and peers.
- Will be a self-starter, Initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance. Create proof of concepts as per business requirements.
- Contribute to data & engineering innovations that fuel BC’s vision and mission.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related fields.
- Staff/Lead/Senior Software (Data) Engineer with 10+ years of experience in building data intensive applications, tackling challenging architectural, scalability and reliability problems
- Extensive knowledge of different phases of SDLC where responsibilities include Analysis, High Level & Detailed Design, Development, Testing, Implementation and Production Support activities.
- Expertise in one or more programming language(preferably Python)
- Skilled in building and maintaining data quality frameworks, data observability and monitoring frameworks.
- Extensive knowledge in application monitoring, handling user tickets, analyzing data issues.
- Experience with data modeling, data mining, and predictive analysis
- Extensive experience manipulating and analyzing large data sets and possesses excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Experience with on-prem & relational platforms Oracle , SQL Server , PostGres etc and one of the cloud platforms - GCP , Azure , AWS etc.
- Comfortable working in an unstructured environment, taking ownership for results and self-directing your efforts to the subject areas and questions which have the greatest potential impact on the business
- Proven track record of, or strong desire to be personally accountable for the analysis and proposals that drive a business at a large scale.