Job Title: Technical Designer
Reports To: Technical Design Manager
Backcountry’s Owned Brands division is looking for a Technical Designer to help support this rapidly growing portion of the overall business. We create new and unique brands and products to offer compelling product to our customers and drive profitability. We are seeking a Technical Designer with experience in men’s and women’s apparel (emphasis on outdoor) fit and construction, who can roll up their sleeves and help execute on the strategic initiatives of the division. This role will report to the Technical Design Manager, Owned Brands.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Ability to drive and manage multiple projects from conception through design, development and start of production ensuring brand quality standards and design intent are
- Partner closely with sourcing team to ensure product is meeting cost targets
- Monitor development timeline to ensure department goals are met
- You will own the fit process. Schedule and lead fit and construction meetings with product team
- Manage fit commercialization process: schedule fitting, review and measure prototypes/sales samples for workmanship, construction, fit, and production feasibility and communicate with factories.
- Collaborate with Design in initial stages of tech pack development; Ensure BOM, specs, measurements, and construction details are accurately maintained and communicated from first proto to production
- Build new product specifications including full graded measurements and detailed technical sketches including full construction ISO callouts
- Recommend construction techniques that meet design expectations and engineer the product to pre-determined gross margin targets, FOB including pre-cost estimates, first costs through to final cost.
- Maintain all records, style files, and samples associated with the product
- Create, manipulate, and modify technical drawings using Adobe Illustrator
- Coordinate and conduct on-model fit reviews to ensure products meet brand fit guidelines
- Take clear and detailed notes and photos during fittings; ability to articulate the fit issues to various stakeholders and present solution
- Initiate and maintain daily communication with factories to ensure integrity of design-approved prototypes; including monitoring quality, responding to all technical questions, communicating any required changes
- Correct factory patterns and apply grade rules as necessary
- Able to conduct after hours skype meetings with factories
- Performs these and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in apparel or related experience
- 5-7 years of garment industry experience, outdoor apparel experience a plus
- Detail oriented with outstanding follow-through
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of manufacturing processes and product development lifecycle
- Self-motivated and has the ability to work in a fast-paced, result-oriented team environment
- Maintain current passport
- Willing to travel internationally/domestically up to 30%
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Illustrator (sketching), MS Office, Word, Excel, and PLM system
- 2D and 3D experience a plus
- Hardgoods experience a plus
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to various apparel categories and sizes
- Exceptional written, oral and face-to-face communication skills
- Deadline driven and extremely detail oriented
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.