Site Reliability Engineer/DBA
Site Reliability Engineer , Database Infrastructure
SREs at Backcountry play a crucial role in helping facilitate and provide structure to this innovation. We vet technologies for production readiness, provide deployment guidelines and support the operational environments.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Keep production databases stable, secure, up-to-date and optimized for critical 24/7/365 systems
- Strongly focused on automation: design and develop scripts to manage, maintain and support database automation
- Develop capacity plans for database growth
- Debug hard problems on production systems - data, hardware, software, application and network
- Monitor system health and capacity and take proactive action to fix problems before they occur
- Participate in an on-call rotation and serve as an escalation contact for incidents
- Collaborate with Development Engineering teams to build, deploy, support and build new features
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to code in a high level language: Python/Go/Java/C/C++
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or at least 5 years of relevant experience
- 5+ years experience managing and working with production grade relational databases, with demonstrable knowledge of at least one of the following: Oracle Database (preferred), PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server or IBM DB2
- In-depth knowledge of Oracle RAC, RMAN, DataGuard, ASM, AWR/ASH or comparable technologies in other RDBMS
- Ability to write and code review SQL scripts. Mentor other engineers in query tuning practices
- 3-5 years automating tasks.Ability to write and debug scripts in at least one scripting language is required. Software development experience is a plus
- Knowledge of MongoDB is a plus
- Willing to learn technologies outside your comfort zone. Might be non database technologies
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently as well as in a team
- Obsess about gaining and maintaining customer trust. Always think about how you are improving the customer's life with what you are doing.
- True belief in serving great engineers and creating a team that is world-class. People should be able to look back at their time as part of your team and truly feel that it added value to their careers.
- Attitude of taking ownership and getting things done. While we would love for you to have the capability to consistently make good decisions, it is even more important that you accept responsibility when you’ve made bad ones.
- Be at the top of your game with a deep curiosity of the latest and greatest in technology and infrastructure with a bias towards self-education when faced with unfamiliar technologies, problems, or objectives.
- Have a backbone! Strongly advocate your beliefs of what is best for Backcountry. You state your opinions and disagreements directly by remaining candid as well as apolitical.
- Relentlessly escalate the decisions you are most concerned about; escalation trumps compromise. Yet, once a decision is made, you wholeheartedly commit to it as if it were your own.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.