Assistant Controller, Director
As the Assistant Controller, you will be responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of our financial statements through activity analysis and account reconciliations. This role is responsible for performing assigned accounting functions, responsible for Inventory Management, & oversight of Accounts Payable department for all of Backcountry’s brands. You will be expected to prepare and consolidate balance sheets, income statements, and ad hoc reporting, as needed. This role will report into the VP, Corporate Controller of the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare consolidated internal and external financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments
- Prepare or review general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts
- Work closely with the Planning, Supply Chain and Transportation teams to ensure all inventory movements are properly classified, recognized, recorded and reconciled.
- Develop workplans to improve existing processes and support growth.
- Ensure inventory costing policies are clearly defined and consistently implemented.
- Prepare or review payments by accruing expenses; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts
- Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents and preparing account roll-forwards
- Maintain financial security by following internal controls
- Review, design and implement accounting procedures and internal controls by analyzing current procedures and controls; recommending changes
- Identify, research, and explain variances of actual performance to forecast
- Protect organization's value by keeping information confidential
- Manage and train staff to understand and perform accounting reconciliations and procedures
- Represent the company to various trade professionals and groups, and ensure that the company’s professional reputation is maintained
- Assist in technical accounting research and inventory/COGS-related projects.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 10 to 15 years of Accounting experience; Master’s degree in Accounting or Business preferred
- CPA preferred
- Experience with an eCommerce, CPG or DTC company, a plus
- Understanding of US GAAP, Reporting, and Accounting principles
- Excellent written, verbal and analytical skills; ability to multitask and balance priorities
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, while maintaining accuracy of information and attention to detail
- Knowledge and familiarity of Netsuite preferred
- Experience in a public company environment a plus