Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer
Backcountry’s engineers are aggressive about finding new technologies to make systems better, faster, more stable, and more interesting to work on. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and rally others around putting it into production.
SREs at Backcountry play a crucial role in helping facilitate and provide structure to this innovation. We vet technologies for production readiness, provide deployment guidelines and support the operational environments. We strive to do this in a collaborative way with our Engineering counterparts as we work toward migrating the organization to a DevOps culture.
About the Job
- Full stack ownership - databases, web servers, application servers and caching services
- Keep production databases stable, secure, up-to-date and optimized
- Strongly focused on automation: design and develop scripts to manage, maintain and support our databases
- Develop capacity plans for database growth
- Debug hard problems on production systems - data, hardware, software, application and network
- Monitor system health and capacity and take proactive action to fix problems before they occur
- Participate in an on-call rotation and serve as an escalation contact for incidents
- Collaborate with Development Engineering teams to build, deploy, support and build new features
- 5+ Years experience managing and working with production grade relational databases, with demonstrable knowledge of at least one of the following: Oracle, PostgreSQL.
- In-depth knowledge of Oracle RAC, RMAN, DataGuard, ASM, AWR/ASH
- Ability to write and review SQL, as well as writing scripts in bash
- Ability to code in at least one high level language ( preferably Python )
- Knowledge of pgBench, pgFouine, Slony-I is desirable
- Knowledge of MongoDB is a plus
- Familiar with AWS RDS
- Identify problems and implement solutions on 24/7 production environments
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Willing to learn technologies outside your comfort zone
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently as well as in a team
Backcountry is a portfolio of premium specialty retail brands. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of premium outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate six specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde and SteepandCheap.