Associate Merchandise Planner
POSITION TITLE: Associate Merchandise Planner
REPORTS TO: Merchandise Planning Manager
BUSINESS/COMPANY/DEPARTMENT: Merchandise Planning
LOCATION: Park City, UT
Backcountry has an opening for an Associate Merchandise Planner on its Inventory Management team. This entry level role will serve as a business manager for multiple categories or divisions of merchandise. In the role, you’ll work as the primary partner to a buyer to develop and maintain sales, inventory, and margin plans. The position requires excellent analytical skills, retail or general business experience, and the ability to work well alone and with a team.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Partner with the Buyer & Planning Manager to develop category financial targets to support tops-down goals and merchandise strategies.
- Collaborate with Buying team to build assortment recommendations, brand and key item needs for preseason purchasing.
- Analyze size performance and make recommendations on size curves of future buys.
- Managing the product life cycle, projecting weeks of supply targets, and end of season markdowns to optimize direct profit.
- Work closely with the buyers to review in-season product performance and develop revised projections to maximize sales & profitability.
- Presents forecasts at monthly plan lock meetings and provide analysis to support all recommendations.
- Recap business performance weekly, understanding variances to plan and assess any deviations to current trend.
- Work with merchandising to develop marketing strategies and analyze promotional effectiveness.
- Complete hindsight analysis seasonally to highlight opportunities for future plans and strategies.
- Take on special projects that enhance the merchandising process, streamlining workflow
- Establish and maintain relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Create ad hoc reports to help cross functional partners understand the trends in the business
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Strong aptitude with numbers and clear understanding of retail math
- Leadership, facilitate group discussions for maximum idea generation.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel & pivot tables; a strong aptitude to learn technical applications quickly.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to develop and maintain strong working relationships and communicate well with peers and cross-functional teams.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities.
- Able to perform under pressure, organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Presenting finding in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines, & reporting.
- Experience in one or more of the following: retail, buying, planning, inventory control, allocation, supply chain, analytics, finance, or replenishment.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid parental leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.