Senior Engineering Manager, Shared Services
Department Overview: The Avalara Shared Services Engineering department enables the continued growth of the Avalara's flagship tax determination platform, delivering reliability, performance and features to the product. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce and revolutionizing fundamental business processes. Our solutions employ advanced technology and encompass deep stores of statutory tax content, enabling businesses to automate the compliance process, thus helping to reduce errors and audit exposure, increase the speed of transaction processing, and reduce total compliance costs.
Job Summary As a Manager of Engineering in Avalara, the primary responsibilities will be to drive engineering excellence within the team and bring innovations within the engineering space to ensure high efficiency, scalability and stability. The incumbent needs to work closely with US counterparts and leaders in India to ensure the flawless execution of the team goals.
- Fostering innovation and experimentation, delivering software solutions that exceed customer and stakeholder expectations.
- Providing technical leadership and apply best practices to further leading-edge solutions.
- Nurturing disagreement and the courage to change course.
- Leading an Agile Release and following SAFe Principles.
- Coordinating with internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of program goals.
- Ensuring product releases are of high quality, that delivers excellent user experiences, and is compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Measuring team performance using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Should carry Inclusive leadership skills.
- Liaising with the product teams and establishing highly collaborative partnerships
- Developing a fun culture enabling high employee engagement and cohesive, collaborative teams across domains and locations
- Collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders within business and technology teams to drive change required to execute product and engineering roadmaps
- Leading a team in an environment which includes modern technologies, continuous integration/continuous delivery tool chains, and the full software development lifecycle
- Using industry research and emerging technologies to ensure we are appropriately leveraging new techniques and capabilities
- Recruit and cultivate top talent by driving technical and leadership development
- Education - BE, MCA, MCS or other related degree
- Leadership traits with extensive hands-on experience in building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies
- Agile application development methodology.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required, with the ability to create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership across the organization
- Good at building relationships and proven ability to influence and drive delivery across a geographical distributed organization
- Computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working experience on Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Ability to write great documentation
- Passion to see your product be the best in the business
- Familiar with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
Good -To- Have
- Experience with Product based company
- Experience with SaaS based solutions
- Knowledge of Indirect Tax. (Sales Tax, Consumer use tax, VAT & Excise Tax)
- ERP domain knowledge of Sales/Finance/Accounting modules would be an added advantage
- Experience of customizing ERP based on proprietary languages would be preferred
- Experience on latest tools for static and dynamic code analysis, CI/CD pipeline, TDD and Serverless framework. Preferable on AWS (Cloud) infrastructure and services.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world.
Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds.
That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone. That's why we're growing fast.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.