Technical Support Engineer-ERP (R7112)
The Technical Support Engineer is responsible for acting as the Subject Matter Expert providing in-depth technical expertise and analysis supporting our customer base and internal Avalara departments for CertCapture, AvaTax and all related Connectors. This involves working directly with customers, responding to email requests in a timely manner, working closely with Avalara engineers to resolve issues, as well as participating in engineering and product management meetings.
As part of the Technical Assistance Center (TAC), you will be the first point of escalation for issues outside of other Product Support Specialists. You will be required to document each customer contact, troubleshoot technical issues, escalate to engineering as needed, and manage issues through to resolution. You will be expected to live by our ‘Cult of the Customer' philosophy and will be held accountable for increasing the overall satisfaction of our customer base. This includes assisting in the creation and implementation of customer centric processes and workflow, performing to prescribed metrics goals, and contributing to an environment of accountability, growth, and positive employee morale.
This position may require working US business hours on rotation. Weekend and/or evening work may also be required.
- Drive a proactive and simplified customer interaction for escalated issues.
- Own Tier 3 CertCapture, AvaTax and related Connector technical issues through resolution.
- Perform Ticket analysis and response for all escalated tickets:
- Basic correlation and trending identification
- Common thematic items
- Troubleshoot and issue replication
- Communicate clearly and precisely with customers in written and verbal form, maintaining accurate and timely records in our case tracking system.
- Attain intermediate/experienced proficiency in the primary functions and technical workings for CertCapture, AvaTax and related Connectors, and all Avalara services.
- Comprehend technical interoperability for products in Avalara Portfolio
- Manage personal ticket workload to meet department SLAs and CSAT goals, with expected clarity and quality of documentation.
- Perform technical escalation management functions as required for all issues requiring assistance from other Avalara departments and Partners.
- Collaborate with Tier 1/2 teams and the department QA team for process improvement and training.
- Be the voice of the customer within Avalara. Driving issue/request to resolution, regardless of what department owns the issue.
- Establish trusted advisor relationship with customers, Avalara sales and support personnel.
- Be open to accept additional responsibilities assigned to meet the deadlines
- Perform related duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Education: BE or MCA or MCS
- 5+ years in a technical support environment supporting software or SaaS products.
- In depth technical expertise in supporting software or SaaS products.
- Experience with a mainstream ERP/CRM/Accounting software package, such as: NetSuite, Microsoft Dynamics/D365/AX, SageX, Salesforce, Magento, Shopify, or similar systems.
- Ability to demonstrate examples of key Avalara Success Traits related to success in this position: Ownership, Urgency, Humility, Simplicity, Adaptability, Curiosity
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Highly organized, with an ability to properly prioritize tasks and work with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently, take initiative and make business decisions to minimize risk and improve the business and financial success of partners or customers.
- Advanced Issue troubleshooting skills for the most efficient resolution and/or escalation.
- Proven ability to collaborate and execute in a customer focused environment, and advocate for customers across a cross-functional organization.
- Expertise in mainstream Support ticketing system and support request queue management.
- Advanced customer relationship and call management.
- Ability to maintain proper daily communication with customers and managers regarding case management and status.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to navigate challenging situations in a professional manner
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Expert-level proficiency in the setup and configuration of AvaTax, CertCapture and Returns
- Expert level proficiency in AvaTax connector configuration and troubleshooting (especially NetSuite, Sage, Microsoft, API either Performing the role of Tax Manager or Tax Consultant, including the filing of returns, assessment of and mitigation of risk around sales and local taxes (SALT)
- Technical abilities to include the following:
- Database analysis
- Database structural knowledge
- competency in APIs and data manipulation
- Relational knowledge of customer/certificate/data feed/ data source
- Ability to perform complex trouble shooting for all data logistics elements
- Advanced experience with and a thorough understanding of SaaS-based products and services.
- Mastery of data flows between customers and SaaS products.
- Background in accounting and taxation
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world.
Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds.
That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone. That's why we're growing fast.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.