Director, Brazil Tax Content
- Document and manage all the process, automation and storage of Content in Brazil related to Direct (IRPJ, CSLL, II, ISS) and Indirect Tax Content (IPI, PIS, COFINS, ICMS)
- Systematically develop and document the implementation of content policies, procedures and storage tools plus quality metrics that support indirect tax content and tax rules creation from tax determination to digital files, e-invoicing, compliance and documentation
- Responsible for managing the Brazilian Tax Content Research Team, giving instructions and directions, implementing best tax research practices and ensuring the correct maintenance of the tax content
- Build, develop, and lead a measurable, world-class, high performing content team with a culture of innovation, personal growth, and career development
- Work as an integral team member with Engineering, Content Enginnering and Product Management as well as corporate Avalara management in fulfillment of company objectives
- Work in partnership with the Professional Services Team (implementation), to support the understanding of the tax content and disseminate the tax knowledge in Avalara Brazil
- Ensure timely and accurate customer support triage and incident escalations
- Leads interactions with Finance and People & Culture regarding employee health & safety, talent evaluation, compensation, recognition, contract administration and budget management
- Provide internal marketing of team accomplishments
- Set annual objectives and implement key results to drive consistent improvement in content towards Avalara's goal of being recognized as the tax compliance content leader
- Provide timely assessment and recommendations towards business development activities that incorporate a balance between risk mitigation and business growth priorities
- Participate in external tax events as speakers, prepare articles and materials for conferences and lectures
- Enable systematic and predictable economic valuation of new and expanded content requests inclusive of content tooling
- Lead post completion and implementation assessments after significant software projects, or business incidents toward recognizing good performance and identifying improvement areas
- Create and sustain a demonstrable dashboard to display the coverage and quality of existing content and related content metrics
- Provide cost-benefit analyses related to the acquisition or licensing of new content from third-parties including, but not limited to, partner and customer ecosystems
- Assist in the annual budget planning process and regularly monitor expenditures
- Optimize and harmonize content development and maintenance processes as part of a global first team with Content leaders in North America, Europe and India
- fluent English and native Portuguese language skills
- a B.S. degree in law, technology or finance related discipline
- deep knowledge of Brazil taxation at the federal, state and municipal levels
- deep knowledge of tax compliance solutions and digital files regulation (SPED, EFD, DCTF, and others)
- a MBA, JD/LLM, and/or CPA/Chartered Accountant in that order of preference
- subject matter experience with one or more indirect tax types or end to end compliance solutions
- 15+ years of experience in a field dependent on multi-layered government or jurisdictional research and/or data curation
- 15+ years of senior management level experience (team size 15+), inclusive of managing large projects and virtual teams
- experience in digital files analyses and layouts
- ability to travel for team events including global travel for one to two weeks per year
- advanced Spanish language skills
- relationships with Big 4 and Brazil tax technology professional organizations
- knowledge of leading ERP and Brazil business systems
- experience in a software development business or familiarity with agile software development methodologies
- experience in a one or more complex taxation industries
- experience with business and/or product development
- experience with large technology cutovers and/or data migrations
- experience in leading incident management or customer de-escalations
- experience developing and improving metrics and dashboards
- experience with mergers and acquisitions and/or due diligence and integration
- an excited, entrepreneurial spirit focused on partner and customer success and employee empowerment and career development
- Curiosity: Ability to develop and apply new solutions to solve problems; passion for applying new processes, tools and technology in a way that measurably improves business performance
- Operational / Process Orientation: Demonstrated ability to recognize strategic change, systematically measure performance and proactively respond in a matrixed organization. Proven success in leadership roles encompassing innovation, strategy, planning, and/or commercial software implementation.
- Urgency: Strong bias for action and the achievement of tangible results; set clear & lofty goals for the organization and pursues them with enthusiasm and energy; quickly sizes up multiple situations and complex problems and makes excellent, timely decisions.
- Communications: Ability to communicate complex indirect tax concepts and processes in an effective manner to external and internal audiences with varying levels of sophistication and knowledge. Must possess excellent negotiation skills.
- Analysis and Problem Solving: Deliver content solutions that have a positive organizational impact & sustainably influence future directions.
- Adaptability: Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and to balance short versus long-term demands and opportunities.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.