VAT Senior Tax Research Analyst
The VAT Senior Tax Research Analyst will be helping our EMEA VAT content team to research changes in VAT in relation to jurisdictions covered in our market leading VAT compliance software VAT Reporting, help add new jurisdictions into the tool and interact with other areas of the business such as Global Returns Services, Professional Services, Marketing, Engineering, Product Management, Customer Support, etc.
The Senior Tax Research Analyst will also lead the content teams registration project in cooperation with the Registrations department and guide associate analysts in identifying changes to VAT registration forms and requirements.
This person will be reporting into EMEA Content Management and liaise with our global team to ensure that the changes are picked-up, analysed, reviewed and implemented. As this role works closely with members of the VAT Content Team, the optimal candidate will also have in depth experience with VAT compliance.
Achieving success will require the tax researcher to be a technically adept, as well as a champion for improvement.
Although not generally required, the candidate must be flexible to overlap work timings with other Avalara offices globally, as needed.
- Identify and analyse VAT compliance requirements and legislation
- Research VAT changes in compliance and legislation
- Lead the registration pilot project in coordination with the Registration and Licensing department, and review changes to registration forms and requirements identified by associate tax analysts
- Ensure that all content changes are completely, thoroughly and articulately documented
- Document instructions describing content changes and provide customer guidance on how to effectively navigate the changes implemented, where appropriate
- Effectively work and communicate with team members to accomplish specific tasks in a timely, efficient and productive manner
- Open to accept additional responsibilities to enable the team to meet deadlines
- Assist other areas of the business such as Global Returns Services, Professional Services, Marketing, Engineering, Product Management, Customer Support
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
Our ideal candidate will have:
- 4+ years of experience in EU cross-border VAT compliance
- Qualifications in technical fields, such as law, accountancy, economics, mathematics (in that order of preference)
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Have a passion and flair for problem-solving
- Possess strong time management and organization skills to achieve priority results
- Demonstrate high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism
- Possess the ability and the desire to work collaboratively in cohesive teams
- Well-developed critical thinking skills are a must
- Possess the ability and desire to work in and adapt to a fast-paced, dynamic environment, whilst achieving priority results
- Possess excellent logical and analytical skills
- A high comfort level with technical tools
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- MBA, JD/LLM in Law, ATT or CTA in Tax (or local tax qualifications in country of origin), and/or CPA/Chartered Accountant or similar in that order of preference
- Familiarity with tax returns and/or government compliance
- Experience with the use of e-files
- Familiarity with JIRA
- Previous software experience a plus
- Fluency in languages other than English are a plus
- Demonstrable experience or qualifications in managing process optimization (e.g. Agile process) is a plus
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position:
Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com