Product UX Internships - Winter 2021
Avalara is looking for an intern for our Winter 2021 program. Beginning in early January through Mid-March, interns will support our UX team’s goal of creating a unified experience with our design system.
Interns will be provided with a detailed, significant 12-week project to support these functions through deep collaboration with their direct manager, an assigned mentor, and their broader project team. Interns will have the opportunity to work with a variety of disciplines, including deep diving and documenting the molecules and organisms (in Atomic Design Methodology terminology) of our design system, testing components with users to maximize efficiency in each task, and demonstrate their findings through a final presentation shared with the UX and Product organization.
*Specific job/project duties and team alignment will be shared as they are finalized and updated on Avalara.com but all interns are to expect the job duties below.
- Follow strategic direction from assigned manager and mentor to achieve project deliverables
- Collaborate with assigned team to identify gaps and propose solutions
- Partner with fellow interns to attend and participate in internship program events and activities
- Iterate presentation and presentation skills based on feedback from manager and mentor
- Desire to become an expert in UX
- Desire to join Avalara as a full-time UX team member after completion of the internship
- Foundation in visual design principles (color theory, typography, hierarchy etc.)
- Understanding of design systems, human interface guidelines, and standard User Centred Design methodologies
- Proficiency in Figma, Sketch, or equivalent design tools
- Willingness to dive in and identify root causes and develop creative solutions
- Pursuing a degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human-Centered Design, Interaction Design and Information Architecture, or other HCI/UX related fields.
- Prior internship experience is a plus