Security Technical Project Manager
Avalara has a world class security team. Join us to make it even better as our Security Compliance Technical Project Manager. At Avalara, we believe moving fast but also doing things right. This position is critical in ensuring security compliance across a diverse group of stakeholders including Engineering, SaaS Ops, IT, Legal, HR, etc. to provide assurance of data security to our customers and partners. The ideal candidate will drive implementation of IT controls and cross-functional security projects including tracking deadlines and holding individuals accountable. This role requires a high level of project management and technical expertise to execute risk management and security projects. As a technical project manager, you will work with stakeholders to assess priorities, define scope and level of effort, and develop project plans based on security compliance requirements and identified risks.
- Maintain ongoing oversight of concurrent cross-functional projects and initiatives that impact security compliance programs; escalate and resolve risks and issues as required.
- Develop metrics and reporting to demonstrate project status.
- Manage complex technical projects, tracking deadlines, deliverables, resources, and timelines
- Develop a roadmap and manage remediation efforts to ensure adherence to customer and partner compliance requirements.
- Drive implementation of technical solutions and ensure efforts are seamlessly integrated in the project plans
- Lead control integration efforts with new or existing systems and supporting architecture.
- Lead efforts to automate existing IT controls where possible.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects, each with varying priority, timelines and resource requirements
- Inform project teams and senior leaders where resources are currently being placed and adjust workflows and identify resourcing gaps accordingly
- Establish project management documentation standards and implement across teams
- Facilitate all retrospective reviews of projects completed, particularly when projects did not go according to schedule
- 5+ years of technical project management experience with demonstrated understanding of industry-standard project management processes, artifacts, and tools
- Excellent judgment, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Experience identifying risks and designing IT controls
- Able to quickly understand and conceptualize processes and procedures
- Experience in business process mapping or operational redesign / improvement and translating them into technical requirements
- Highly proficient with business applications such as JIRA, GSuite, Microsoft
- Fundamental knowledge of commercial and regulatory compliance frameworks (e.g., SOC 2, SOX, GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, PCI etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required with a demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Results-oriented with strong time management skills, highly organized, motivated and driven to succeed.
- Working knowledge with security fundamentals (confidentiality, integrity, availability) and core IT infrastructure
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Professional experience within an information security group or SaaS business
- Understanding of vulnerability management, including timely mitigation of web application and host-based issues
- Experience working with development tools, languages, and environments, such as: Python, .NET, Java, PHP, Node.js, RDBMS, NosQL, and Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with common compliance frameworks such as COBIT, COSO, ISO, and NIST
- Experience working with or using Galvanize RSAM application a plus
- Cloud compliance, security, or audit experience
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world. Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.