Lead Data Engineer
- Translate business and functional requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions that work well within the overall data architecture at Avalara
- Design and develop data pipelines, data ingestion and ETL processes that are scalable, repeatable and secure for stakeholder needs
- Data modelling and experience with data engineering tools and platforms such as Kafka, Spark, and Hadoop
- Mentor junior data engineers
- Communicate potential risks, delays, concerns and status to stakeholders
- Participating in Agile development activities including sprint planning, stand-ups, retrospectives and demos
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively with partner teams
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science or equivalent
- 9+ yrs of total experience and 5 yrs in Data Engineering.
- Atleast 2+ years of experience in AWS ecosystem
• You are equally happy coding and leading a team to implement a solution
• You have a track record of innovation and expertise in Data Engineering
• You're passionate about craftsmanship and have applied your expertise across a range of industries and organisations
• You have a deep understanding of data modelling and experience with data engineering tools and platforms such as Kafka, Spark, and Hadoop
• You have built large-scale data pipelines and data-centric applications using any of the distributed storage platforms such as HDFS, S3, NoSQL databases (Hbase, Cassandra, etc.) and any of the distributed processing platforms like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Oozie, and Airflow in a production setting
• Hands on experience in MapR, Cloudera, Hortonworks and/or cloud (AWS EMR, Azure HDInsights, Qubole etc.) based Hadoop distributions
• You are comfortable taking data-driven approaches and applying data security strategy to solve business problems
• You're genuinely excited about data infrastructure and operations with a familiarity working in cloud environments
• Working with data excites you: you have created Big data architecture, you can build and operate data pipelines, and maintain data storage, all within distributed systems
• Advocate your data engineering expertise to the broader tech community.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world.
Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds.
That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone. That's why we're growing fast.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.