Director Database Engineering (5099)
The Director Database Engineering is responsible for the maintenance of the system databases in MS SQL and other environments in a manner that ensures services are accessible on a 24 x 7 basis.
- Administer all aspects of the production databases including applying patches, upgrading or migrating the RDBMS, and planning for appropriate storage capacity
- Troubleshoot performance issues
- Recommend changes to improve application performance
- Develop and implement disaster recovery plans
- Implement industry standard best practices for ongoing database administration
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge in database design architecture and physical data modeling, including debugging, profiling, and problem solving
- Work with business personnel to develop logical data models and service level agreements for capacity, performance, and reliability requirements for new and existing applications
- Assist the business in deciding which database platform to utilize for a given application
- Work with the Development team to migrate applications from one platform to another as needed
- Design, implement, function test, load test packages, stored procedures, triggers and other database objects to support new and existing applications
- Develop, enforce, and maintain appropriate database change control procedures for the database objects
- Exercise appropriate control and oversight of all data to keep all taxpayer, employee and financial data secure
- Review existing processes and recommend changes or institute new processes as necessary, including the areas of monitoring, upgrades, and tuning
- Generate high-quality project documentation, such as architecture designs, implementation plans, design documents, test plans, etc.
- Provide technical escalation and be on call during designated periods
- Mentor other members of the technical team database administration practices and procedures
- Stay abreast of industry best practices regarding new methods and technologies and adopt these new methods and technologies as appropriate
- Manage a distributed team of DBAs across the US, India, Brazil and EU
- Other job duties as assigned
- This role should have significant experience in both MS SQL server and opensource Mongo / Atlas and AWS SaaS Databases.
- Atlas architecture and best practices in experience migrating from SQL server to Mongo.
- Experience designing, implementing, and maintaining high-availability SQL databases in a SaaS environment – preferably an MS SQL Cluster environment in AWS
- Deep expertise in MS SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2017, including SQL server operations and SQL query optimization
- SQL Server upgrades moving to 2017/2019
- Hands-on SSRS and SSIS experience
- Thorough knowledge of configuration and tuning, backup and recovery, transaction log management, replication, cluster configuration, maintenance, performance tuning, and indexes
- Solid understanding of security concepts, principles and practices, including fundamental knowledge of OSI model
- OLTP and OLAP support and design experience
- 7 to 10 years of experience implementing, maintaining and architecting database solutions using Microsoft SQL Server including experience using Procedural SQL constructs
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Desirable Skills:
- Exposure to RDS, Aurora, and Redshift databases
- Required Education:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent years of work experience
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.