Sr. UX Designer
Are you an expert in building compelling user interfaces? Are you able to empathize with a diverse audience ranging from marketplace sellers, accountants, and enterprise financial analysts? Do you have a high bar for quality? Do you enjoy solving hard problems? Do you have a passion for thinking like the customer? If so, Avalara, the fastest growing company in tax compliance, wants to talk to you!
Avalara’s UX Product team is growing and we need an experienced UX designer who thrives on transforming complexity into intuitive and efficient sales tax solutions.
We tackle interesting problems across the gamut of product design for customers ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 corporations.
Joining our UX team will provide you with a unique opportunity to advance your craft and have a noticeable, significant impact across Avalara’s product offerings.
Responsibilities – I want to and can do that!
- Design is an iterative process: Welcome feedback and work effectively with team members and stakeholders (Product, Engineering, etc.) to come up with the optimal design during the product ideation processes.
- Create intuitive interfaces and seamless experiences that make emotional connections with users and communicate the brand.
- Gain a deep understanding of user needs and goals and communicate them to cross-functional product teams.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously across diverse product teams.
- Design web app interfaces and product experiences for a wide range of tax compliance products.
- Create design deliverables appropriate to projects - including flows, diagrams, mockups, interactive prototypes, specs, and assets for stakeholders, validation with users, and engineering teams.
- Collaborate with the product team to launch new features and evolve existing ones based on an understanding of user needs, business objectives and technical constraints.
- Collaborate with product managers on obtaining feedback from customers and partners.
- Test ideas and rapidly incorporate user and team feedback.
- Use, contribute to, and help to maintain Avalara’s product design system.
- Don't follow! Lead! Help establish new and/or improve existing workflows as necessary including the full customer journey spanning discovery, purchase, onboarding, and on-going product usage.
- Understand quantitative analysis and help make data-driven design decisions. Experience with Adobe Analytics a plus.
Minimum Qualifications – I’ve already done that or have that!
- 5+ years of professional experience designing interfaces and online experiences.
- Designing within an existing or emerging design system (i.e. Material Design, VMWare Clarity, Salesforce Lightning Design.)
- Working with developer teams using agile sprints, participating in design reviews and retrospectives, and wrangling tickets in Jira.
- Working hand-in-hand and advocating for a user-centered design process with Product Management, Engineering, and UI Writers.
- Experience incorporating user research into the design process.
- You have a portfolio that includes: wireframes, interaction flows, and high-fidelity interface examples. Your thought process and the context of your contribution should be clear.
- We expect that a good designer can learn tools. We use Sketch (with the Craft Library plugin) to design, our prototyping is done with InVision, and our main source of sugar is Swedish Fish.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.