Product Marketing Manager - Competitive Intelligence (6082)
Avalara has been rated a leader by IDC in the 2019 MarketScape report on Sales Tax and VAT applications. We are a dynamic B2B SaaS company based in Seattle that provides cloud-based software for sales tax and other indirect taxes. We are pioneering technologies to make the complicated world of sales tax easier for our customers.
This competitive intelligence leadership role provides an opportunity to positively influence and impact Avalara’s sales success and productivity, product messaging, product planning, and marketing strategies.
The ideal candidate for this role thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced and innovative environment, and brings strong experience in sales, sales engineering, technical marketing, or competitive analysis. In this role you will be responsible for gathering, analyzing and presenting intelligence on Avalara’s competitors and explaining how we position our solution to compete more effectively. You will serve as the expert on competitive intelligence and be the go-to source for our sales and marketing teams, arming them with insights on how to outmaneuver our competition. You will collaborate cross-functionally with Avalara’s sales, sales engineering, marketing, and other teams to enable decision making based on a clear understanding of the competition.
- Gather information on competitors from multiple internal and external sources, including hands-on evaluation
- Analyze competitors’ products, capabilities and value propositions to identify areas of differentiation for the development of effective strategies and tactics
- Communicate competitive insights, product positioning, and talk tracks to Sales teams
- Develop and maintain competitive materials for sales and partner enablement, including battlecards, field alerts, case studies, talk tracks, and training sessions
- Establish methods and processes to ensure ongoing competitive information flow to stakeholders across the organization
- Manage third party agencies/projects to source relevant competitive intelligence
- Provide an objective viewpoint based on an in-depth understanding and analysis of Avalara solutions and competitive information
- Work with product marketing to build differentiated product messaging
- Collaborate with product marketing to support product launches by developing competitive support materials and ensuring sales readiness
- Make recommendations on sales tactics and product strategy to enable Avalara to win in the market
- 5+ years sales engineering, product marketing, or competitive analysis in technology
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with indirect tax or accounting software and services
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal skills
- Proven organizational, analytical and quantitative skills
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer problems and position a competitively differentiated solution
- Demonstrated ability in sales training or development of sales support or enablement tools
- Technical and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com