Senior Engineering Manager, AvaTax Shared Services
Department Overview: The AvaTax Shared Services Engineering department enables the continued growth of the Avalara’s flagship tax determination platform, delivering reliability, performance and features to the product. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce and revolutionizing fundamental business processes. Our solutions employ advanced technology and encompass deep stores of statutory tax content, enabling businesses to automate the compliance process, thus helping to reduce errors and audit exposure, increase the speed of transaction processing, and reduce total compliance costs.
Job Overview: As a Senior Manager of Engineering in Avalara, the primary responsibilities will be to drive engineering excellence within the team and bring innovations within the engineering space to ensure high efficiency, scalability and stability. The incumbent needs to work closely with US counterparts and leaders in India to ensure the flawless execution of the team goals.
- Fostering innovation and experimentation, delivering software solutions that exceed customer and stakeholder expectations.
- Providing technical leadership and apply best practices to further leading-edge solutions.
- Nurturing disagreement and the courage to change course.
- Leading an Agile Release and following SAFe Principles.
- Coordinating with internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of program goals.
- Ensuring product releases are of high quality, that delivers excellent user experiences, and is compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Measuring team performance using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Should carry Inclusive leadership skills.
- Liaising with the product teams and establishing highly collaborative partnerships
- Developing a fun culture enabling high employee engagement and cohesive, collaborative teams across domains and locations
- Collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders within business and technology teams to drive change required to execute product and engineering roadmaps
- Leading a team in an environment which includes modern technologies, continuous integration/continuous delivery tool chains, and the full software development lifecycle
- Using industry research and emerging technologies to ensure we are appropriately leveraging new techniques and capabilities
- Recruit and cultivate top talent by driving technical and leadership development
- Education - BE, MCA, MCS or other related degree
- Leadership traits with extensive hands-on experience in building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies
- Agile application development methodology.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required, with the ability to create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership across the organization
- Good at building relationships and proven ability to influence and drive delivery across a geographical distributed organization
- Computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working experience on Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Ability to write great documentation
- Passion to see your product be the best in the business
- Familiar with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
Good -To- Have:
- Experience with Product based company
- Experience with SaaS based solutions
- Knowledge of Indirect Tax. (Sales Tax, Consumer use tax, VAT & Excise Tax)
- ERP domain knowledge of Sales/Finance/Accounting modules would be an added advantage
- Experience of customizing ERP based on proprietary languages would be preferred
- Experience on latest tools for static and dynamic code analysis, CI/CD pipeline, TDD and Serverless framework. Preferable on AWS (Cloud) infrastructure and services.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.