Technical Support Engineer
The Communications Technical Support Engineer is responsible for acting as the Subject Matter Expert, providing in-depth technical expertise and analysis supporting our customer base and internal Avalara departments in the AvaTax for Communications Product suite. This involves prioritizing and working support tickets, working directly with internal and external customers, providing updates in a timely manner, working closely with Avalara engineers as necessary to resolve issues.
As part of the Technical Assistance Center (TAC), you will be an integral point of escalation for issues outside of other Product Support Specialists. You will be required to document team interactions, troubleshoot technical issues, escalate to engineering as needed, and manage or partner on issues through to resolution. You will be expected to live by our ‘Cult of the Customer' philosophy and will be held accountable for increasing the overall satisfaction of our customer base. This includes assisting in the creation and implementation of customer centric processes and workflow, performing to prescribed metrics goals, and contributing to an environment of accountability, growth, and positive employee morale.
- Drive a proactive and simplified customer interaction for escalated issues
- Being an expert on the various AvaTax for Communications web services - includes SOAP, REST and SFTP web services
- Executing queries against databases (SQL Server, Amazon Aurora, Snowflake) and returning the results to customers and internal teams
- Responding to customer questions regarding tax data concerns
- Communicate clearly and precisely in written and verbal form, maintaining accurate and timely records in our ticket tracking systems
- Multi-tasking, thinking critically, being a problem solver, working independently as much as possible, and knowing when to reach out for assistance
- Reviewing, triaging, and prioritizing support tickets to meet department SLAs and CSAT goals, with expected clarity and quality of documentation
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong understanding of REST, SOAP and SFTP web services
- Ability to create, modify, and execute SQL queries
- Ability to understand a complex database schema built around tax data
- Solid communication skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Advanced Issue troubleshooting skills for the most efficient resolution and/or escalation
- Intermediate experience writing and reviewing software code
- Experience with version control, preferably via Git
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.