Software Engineer (Machine Learning)
The Midgard team in Avalara applies Machine Learning techniques to solve engineering problems. The Taxcode classification team employs machine learning classification algorithms and technology to solve taxcode prediction. The accuracy percentage needs to be improved to greater than 90% and coverage for more than 5 categories is needed. This requires developing models.
- proof of concept solutioning
- machine learning models, end to end solutions and NLP solutions
- software development
- infrastructure automation
- code reviews
- Bachelors or Masters degree with computer science exposure
- Savvy with machine learning, classification problems and natural language processing
- Strong knowledge of software fundamentals, data structures and algorithms
- CI/CD skills
- Optimizing and scaling products
- Distributed systems
- Cloud-based software
- Outstanding problem solving and debugging skills
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design & development and common design patterns
- building solutions using machine learning and natural language processing
- contributions to open source
- presentations in tech forum
- building products end to end: from design till production deployment in cloud
Personality traits are
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor, team player, and a positive attitude
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of source control tools such as GitLab
- Proven ability to make things happen and meet commitments
- Experience in building scalable micro service architecture
- Ability to work under pressure and thrive in a fast paced environment
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world.
Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds.
That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone. That's why we're growing fast.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.