Engineering Manager, Shared Services (R2305)
The successful candidate should have robust client-server development experience, a proven ability to learn new approaches in emerging technologies, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, experience with multiple software development methodologies, excellent problem-solving skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The person who succeeds in this role will enable the development and broad adoption of the identity, authentication, and file validation services by all Avalara products. You will lead a high-performance engineering team that is skilled in using the most relevant technology so as to ensure the development efforts add value, meet corporate objectives and launch targets.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Provide leadership of a shared services engineering team.
- Champion of development best practices for the team: design, architecture, re-use, performance, and quality.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support business area strategies and future direction of product lines.
- Take active ownership of complex feature areas and solve technical challenges in the services.
- Have the ability to write code by example, establishing high standards around productivity, quality, and simplicity.
- Enjoys helping coworkers by reviewing their code, pair-programming, and evangelizing better practices
- Provide people, process, and hands-on technical leadership to the engineering team.
- Mentor, motivate, and lead the Engineering team to support a vibrant and productive engineering culture.
- Be Engineering team's Agile process evangelist and help the team learn, adopt and grow into actively using Agile based development.
- Actively engage in sprint planning, delivery and managing the releases.
- Ensure consistent best practices, processes, and procedures for software development, quality assurance, and maintenance.
- Thrive on learning new technologies, don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions and adapt easily to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment
- Actively engages with developing industry tools and practices to remain current.
- Coordinate recruiting efforts across engineering center to ensure consistency and continued excellence.
- Computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Requires 6 - 8 years related experience plus at least 2 years leadership experience
- Currently in an engineering management role and has experience working on scalable software products with engineering teams.
- Deployment automation experience
- Familiar with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Familiar with SQL and NoSQL database technologies (SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Cloud experience (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Serverless experience (AWS Lambda, Azure Server Functions, GCP Cloud Functions)
- Motivated to explore new opportunities in leading edge technologies
- Highly detail oriented and well organized.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.