Indirect Tax Research Analyst
The Tax Research Analyst will research and monitor GST and VAT laws. The Analyst should be able to analyze and interpret the tax laws and follow the process and deadlines to integrate those laws into Avalara products. The Analyst will work closely with other members of the local Pune team, as well as with the US team members.
The Analyst will also acquire/maintain indirect tax rates for GST and VAT. To acquire/maintain the most current/accurate/timely tax rates & taxability information, the candidate must perform intensive research and be up to date on all of the latest tax news. The candidate also should be able to interpret the tax laws and ordinances to evaluate correct content.
Although not required daily, the candidate must be flexible to overlap work timings with US/UK timings, as needed.
- Research, monitor, translate & interpret the tax laws and ordinances, evaluate the content accuracy and conclude on content tax decisions and actions
- Maintain existing taxability rules for assigned jurisdictions by monitoring tax law changes
- Be responsible for maintaining accurate, complete and timely content
- Contact assigned countries to source the tax rates, related rules, ordinances, and forms
- Document research findings in a given format
- Carry out web and subscription service research to and be active with all the latest tax news
- Meet monthly deadlines to incorporate research results into Avalara tools
- Effectively work and communicate with team members to accomplish specific tasks in a timely, efficient and productive manner
- Perform self-quality review
- Participate in committee activities and provide input where applicable
- Open to accept additional responsibilities assigned to meet deadlines
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Must be flexible to overlap work schedule with US timing, as needed for collaborative meetings or training (5-hour time difference vs. US EST)
- Solid organization and self-pacing skills
Our ideal candidate will have:
- LLB/LLM in Law
- 2+ years' experience in Indirect taxes
- Understanding and knowledge on ERP systems and their database structures (SAP, ORACLE, JD Edwards, other ERP's)
- Strong affinity with technology
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- Able to read/write XSD schema
- A high comfort level with technical tools
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not necessary)
- Familiarity with tax returns and/or government compliance
- Experience with the use of e-files
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Familiarity with JIRA
- Previous software experience a plus
- Fluency in languages other than English are a plus
- Demonstrable experience or qualifications in managing process optimization (e.g. Agile process) is a plus
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world.
Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds.
That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone. That's why we're growing fast.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.