Project Manager-Corporate Technology
The Project Manager is responsible for clearly defining key project elements such as scope, required resources, work segments, and milestones and maintaining clarity and momentum throughout the project lifecycle. The project manager will, with help from the team, be able to drive recommendations and decisions around project scope, work estimates, timelines, and budget. This role requires the combination of hard skills for task management as well as soft skills to support outward communication, stakeholder engagement, risk identification and mitigation, and the ability to maintain project alignment with its overall business purpose and stakeholder needs.
The Avalara Corporate Technology team supports key corporate systems at Avalara including Salesforce.com, PROS Configure/Price/Quote, and other components of our integrated application environment such as Zuora, Boomi, and NetSuite. Key projects upcoming and in process include additional Configure/Price/Quote deployment, development of our on-line or unassisted customer purchase capabilities, deploying our Chatbot and Chat Artificial Intelligence capabilities, and supporting core “lead-to-cash” system delivery for newly acquired businesses as well as for geographies outside the U.S.
- Capture and help prioritize new project requests from various stakeholders; help stakeholders score their requests in order to intake them into the prioritization process.
- Gather Business Requirements and desired benefits and create initial project proposals to help with the prioritization process.
- Perform traditional project management tasks including scoping, requirements gathering, resource planning, conducting kickoff and status meetings, reporting on progress (tasks completed, tasks planned next, expected completion dates), managing and highlighting project timeline and budget variances, identifying project risks and mitigation plans, and managing vendors when appropriate.
- Work with both waterfall and agile processes and select the right methodology for each package of work.
- Develop total cost of ownership estimates for large project proposals that may include costs from various sources like consulting, software purchases, and internal labor.
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
Qualified candidates will
- Possess very strong organizational skills.
- Have the ability to think tactically AND strategically; can evaluate whether a task is being done correctly and also if it’s a task we should be doing at all.
- Have experience with enterprise applications (ERP, CRM, General Ledger, Data Warehouse).
- Have program and project management experience.
- Have at minimum a Bachelor's degree and 5+ years project management experience.
- Are teamwork-oriented with a strong focus on customer service.
- Have the ability to think strategically, solve problems effectively, and tenaciously follow-through to ensure client success.
- Are results-oriented with strong people and time management skills.
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- PMP or other comparable certifications in both Agile and Traditional project management.
- Experience with project management software.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.