Director Product Management – ML and AI
Position Overview / Job Summary
Product Managers are key leaders on Avalara’s product teams, and define the future direction and scope for our tax return and compliance services. These services are the backbone of our compliance services and critical to Avalara’s end-to-end product offerings.
In this role, you will be working on Avalara’s ML & AI platform with our Chennai-based team. You'll work with both Avalara customers and internal stakeholders to develop and execute on requirements for the platform. Our ideal candidate has a background in product management on data-related products in the B2B space, experience working with Indian and global teams, and is a great communicator who is strategic, organized, and forward-looking. If you lead by example, have a self-driven sense of urgency, and have an exceptional ability to foster collaboration, we hope you will apply.
What you’ll do....
- Work with customers to understand their needs
- Be / become an expert in your product’s space
- Articulate a clear and compelling product strategy that synthesizes customer needs, market dynamics, and business requirements
- Create prioritized roadmaps that deliver customer value
- Define metrics that measure the success of products, and use these metrics to drive business outcomes
- Develop clear, detailed, and actionable product requirements in partnership with Design / UX
- Serve as agile product owner to ensure engineering execution aligns with your roadmap
- Build alignment and collaborate effectively with other internal stakeholders to ensure effective customer-facing launches and a great end-to-end customer experience
What you’ll bring to the role....
- 5+ years overall professional career experience with a mix of startup and big company perspectives
- 3+ years experience as a SaaS product manager
- Experience with agile development methodologies, the Product Owner role, and commonly used tools such as Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Experience with customer journey maps to define end-to-end customer experiences
- Demonstrated experience partnering cross-functionally
- Ability to deliver requirements appropriate for the project at hand
- Strong attention to detail
- Hands-on experience using major analytics tools; SQL experience is a plus
- Team player able to drive results through influence and enthusiasm
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with experience conducting small-group briefings and demos both internally and with customers
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field (accounting, business, or computer science)
- Experience with tax automation products, ERP, eCommerce platforms, and other financial systems
- Familiarity with accounting and transaction tax compliance concepts (i.e., sales tax returns)
- Experience working with partners and 3rd party developers.
Where you will work….
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara’s headquarters are in Seattle, WA and it has offices across the U.S. and in Brighton and London, England; Brussels, Belgium; Sao Paolo, Brazil; and Chennai, Noida, and Pune, India. More information at: www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.