Tax Research Analyst
- Research, monitor, translate & interpret the tax laws and guidelines, evaluate content accuracy, summarize and conclude on content tax decisions and actions
- Be responsible for maintaining accurate, complete, and timely content mainly for EMEA VAT Compliances
- Analyze and understand XSD schemas and other technical information for the creation of e-files for our VAT reporting software solutions (XML, CSV, TXT, …)
- Assistance with pre-testing of the e-file formats on Tax Authorities' websites, offline applications
- Understand how to connect with the Tax Authority's portals
- Suggest and lead improvements in our software solutions
- Collaborate with tax content research, product management and engineering to implement our solutions
- Document research findings in a given format providing a clear summary of the changes and being able to expand upon request. Attention to detail is a key element of this role
- Effectively work and communicate with team members to accomplish specific tasks in a timely, efficient and productive manner.
- Participate in committee activities and provide input where applicable
- Open to accept additional responsibilities assigned to meet deadlines
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Must be flexible to overlap work schedule with US/UK timing, as needed for collaborative meetings or training
- Other possible functions to be covered upon business needs are: Maintain existing taxability rules for assigned jurisdictions by monitoring tax law changes
Our ideal candidate will have:
- MBA, LLB/LLM in Law
- 3+ years' experience in Indirect taxes (EMEA Compliance is preferred)
- Understanding and knowledge on ERP systems and their database structures (SAP, ORACLE, JD Edwards, other ERP's)
- Strong affinity with technology
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- Able to read/write XSD schema
- A high comfort level with technical tools
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not necessary)
- Familiarity with tax returns and/or government compliance
- Experience with the use of e-files
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Familiarity with JIRA
- Previous software experience a plus
- Fluency in languages other than English are a plus
- Demonstrable experience or qualifications in managing process optimization (e.g. Agile process) is a plus
- Curiosity: Ability to develop and apply new solutions to solve problems; passion for applying new processes, tools and technology in a way that measurably improves business performance.
- Urgency: Strong bias for action and the achievement of tangible results; set clear & lofty goals for the organization and pursues them with enthusiasm and energy; quickly sizes up multiple situations and complex problems and makes excellent, timely decisions.
- Communications: Ability to communicate complex indirect tax concepts and processes in an effective manner to external and internal audiences with varying levels of tax domain knowledge. Must possess excellent global negotiation skills.
- Analysis and Problem Solving: Deliver content curation solutions that have a positive organizational impact & sustainably influence future directions.
- Adaptability: Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and to balance short versus long-term demands and opportunities.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.