We launched Atara Biotherapeutics in August 2012 to help patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic options. We’re named after Atara Ciechanover who suffered from cancer before passing away. We are considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell immunotherapy company (Nasdaq ATRA) developing novel treatments for patients with cancer, autoimmune and viral diseases.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for all SEC financial reporting activities and will lead efforts to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) 404(b) implementation, working closely with SOX consultants, leads and manages the payroll function, external audit, technical accounting, accounting policies, and the accounting system. This individual frequently interacts with accounting staff, IT, legal, and other stakeholders across the organization as well as external SOX consultants and external auditors. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company. Works with the Controller and other team members to develop scalable and efficient accounting processes.
Reports to Corporate Controller
Location South San Francisco, CA
- Leads SOX 404(b) implementation efforts, working with SOX consultants as appropriate; assists in promoting a culture of awareness and adherence to internal controls within the company as a whole.
- Coordinates/monitors/reviews the execution of audit procedures including those in support of management’s assessment of internal controls over financial reporting in according with the COSO Framework and Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX).
- Supports the Controller in the management of the payroll function.
- Supports the requirements of the annual audit and quarterly reviews through preparation of audit schedules and other support to external auditors.
- Leads the preparation of Company’s SEC filings, including 10-Qs and 10-Ks, and ensuring appropriate XBRL tagging of related content.
- Ensures integrity of the company’s accounting system, including new account, department and project set-up, financial report development and maintenance, and interfaces between payroll, equity, financial planning and expense management systems to the general ledger.
- Provides technical accounting guidance to the Company including drafting or reviewing technical accounting memos.
- Provides support to all other teams across the company as needs arise, including special projects, system improvements or ad-hoc financial analyses as assigned.
Travel Ability to travel, up to 15% travel time.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office or clinical environment. Car and airplane (see above) travel is an essential part of the job.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business.
- CPA required; Big 4 audit experience, biotech industry, public company experience preferred.
- 10-12+ years accounting experience.
- Deep subject matter expertise in Sarbanes Oxley and internal controls over financial reporting.
- Deep subject matter expertise in SEC reporting and US GAAP accounting standards.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Well-developed problem-solving skills combined with experience working with outside consultants in a positive and collaborative fashion.
- Good energy, enthusiastic, goal driven.
- Enjoys being ‘hands-on’ and able to work in a co-located environment. Adept at managing external service providers to meet objectives and budgets.
- Fast learner with ability to deal with technical and business issues with equal skill and able to deal with many ambiguities inherent in an emerging pharmaceutical company without becoming rigid or mechanical.
- Able to work in an environment where sharing responsibility for success and the shortcomings of others on the team is critical to the overall success of the Company.
- Emotional maturity and ability to effectively facilitate change in an environment where the structure may evolve rapidly.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people in diverse and different settings.
- Possesses a sense of urgency; identifies challenges and problems and takes the initiative to identify solutions.
- Role model for Atara’s Values of patients first, innovation teamwork, community and mindset.
More About Atara Bio
Now in our sixth year, we’re proud of our team of 260+ Atarians co-located by design in South San Francisco (corporate headquarters) and Southern California (R&D and manufacturing headquarters in the northwest Los Angeles area) with a newly-established European headquarters in Zug, Switzerland. Atara also has a R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area and an office in New York City. Our Southern California hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility in Thousand Oaks, California.
One mission – “Transform the lives of patients with serious medical conditions through pioneering science, teamwork and expertise” – and a singular vision – “Cell therapy treatment for every patient, any time – provide inspiration and direction for all of us.”
The Company's off-the-shelf, allogeneic T-cells are bioengineered from donors with healthy immune function and allow for rapid delivery from inventory to patients without a requirement for pretreatment. Atara's T-cell immunotherapies are designed to precisely recognize and eliminate cancerous or diseased cells without affecting normal, healthy cells.
Atara's most advanced T-cell immunotherapy in development, tabelecleucel, or tab-cel™ (formerly known as ATA129), is being developed for the treatment of patients with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) associated post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder (EBV+ PTLD) who have failed rituximab, as well as other EBV-associated hematologic and solid tumors, including nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). Tab-cel™ is in Phase 3 clinical development for the treatment of EBV+ PTLD following an allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant (MATCH study) or solid organ transplant (ALLELE study).
Atara is also developing off-the-shelf, allogeneic ATA188 and autologous ATA190 T-cell immunotherapies using a complementary targeted antigen recognition technology for specific EBV antigens believed to be important for the potential treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). A Phase 1 clinical study of autologous ATA190 in patients with progressive MS is ongoing. Atara is also advancing a Phase 1 clinical study of ATA188 in patients with progressive or relapsing-remitting MS across clinical sites in the United States and Australia. Atara's clinical pipeline also includes ATA520 targeting Wilms Tumor 1 (WT1) and ATA230 directed against cytomegalovirus (CMV).
Working at Atara Bio
People at Atara Bio are high integrity, roll-up-your-sleeves, get-it-done types who are keenly committed to putting patients first, advancing medical care and doing so with demonstrated urgency. At their core Atarians are people who work well with others and are “team-centric”, have purposeful curiosity and can’t wait to save patient lives. And similar to other biotech companies who have so many accomplished people, we expect humility (we are a “low hubris” sort of place), flexibility, respect, teamwork, good judgment and getting the most out of any dollar we spend. We also expect to enjoy the journey (and each other) as we move forward with a shared responsibility to teach and to learn from what we do and from our teammates.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws or because of the individual’s association with a member of a protected group or connection to an organization or group related to a protected group.
We comply with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Atara Bio in the United States.