Product Team Leader (VP / Sr Director)
We launched Atara Biotherapeutics in August 2012 to help patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic options. We’re named after Atara Ciechanover who suffered from cancer before passing away. We are considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell immunotherapy company (Nasdaq ATRA) developing novel treatments for patients with cancer, autoimmune and viral diseases.
Reporting to the VP, Global Product Leadership, the Product Team Leader will be responsible for leading an interdisciplinary group in driving the formulation and execution of the plan for the global development and commercialization of a product. She/He will also be responsible for driving the execution of deliverables across all functional areas involved in the product team.
Located at either Atara’s South San Francisco or Westlake Village office, the successful hire will:
Reports to: VP, Global Product Leadership
Location: Thousand Oaks (northwest LA area), CA or
South San Francisco, CA
- Leads an interdisciplinary product team in driving the formulation and execution of the global development and commercialization plan.
- Responsible for a product’s overall strategic plan.
- Serves as the project champion and its chief advocate.
- Drives the decision-making process.
- Proactively identifies issues and drives for consensus and resolves conflict.
- Appropriately escalates issues to the executive team for action.
- Develops a tactical integrated project plan aligned to corporate goals and manages team members to achieve these goals.
- Ensures team focus and accountability to achieve goals.
- Actively partners with and leads all functional groups to ensure alignment and execution of the strategic development plan.
- Secures necessary resources for the team, including budget, and assures that the resources are utilized appropriately.
- Regularly interfaces with the Atara Bio Executive team, and any potential partners/collaborators, to recommend strategy and provide project updates.
- Provides input into team members’ performance feedback and objective achievements.
- Ensures that the project development plan is aligned with Atara’s mission for treating life threatening conditions that have been underserved by scientific innovation as well as Atara Bio’s values.
Travel - Travel may be required (up to 20 depending on base location%).
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment. Car and airplane (see above) travel is an essential part of the job.
- The candidate must have at least 15 years of experience in the biopharma industry and have seen the lifecycle of a pharmaceutical product.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross functional product teams to develop and implement global development and commercialization strategies.
- Demonstrated multidisciplinary experience in drug development.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a nimble, fast paced matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage up and across an organization.
- B.S. Degree or higher, preferably in Life Sciences.
- Self-organized, self-directed, highly motivated with strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and rigor, and well-developed program and project management execution skills.
- Excellent communication and team management skills. Strong presentation skills.
- A collaborative team player who works and collaborates effectively with senior and junior colleagues.
- A confident and strategic individual who can think out loud and “brainstorm” in a collegial manner. Able to rapidly execute on agreed upon strategic and tactical plans.
- An innovative, data-driven and effective person with a “can do” attitude.
- A person who operates effectively in a small company and can manage across multiple time zones within a matrixed organization.
- A goal-oriented person who both plans for the long-term and executes for the short term.
- Role model for Atara’s Values of patients first, innovation teamwork, community and mindset.
More About Atara Bio
Now in our sixth year, we’re proud of our team of 260+ Atarians co-located by design in South San Francisco (corporate headquarters) and Southern California (R&D and manufacturing headquarters in the northwest Los Angeles area) with a newly-established European headquarters in Zug, Switzerland. Atara also has a R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area and an office in New York City. Our Southern California hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility in Thousand Oaks, California.
One mission – “Transform the lives of patients with serious medical conditions through pioneering science, teamwork and expertise” – and a singular vision – “Cell therapy treatment for every patient, any time – provide inspiration and direction for all of us.”
The Company's off-the-shelf, allogeneic T-cells are bioengineered from donors with healthy immune function and allow for rapid delivery from inventory to patients without a requirement for pretreatment. Atara's T-cell immunotherapies are designed to precisely recognize and eliminate cancerous or diseased cells without affecting normal, healthy cells.
Atara's most advanced T-cell immunotherapy in development, tabelecleucel, or tab-cel™ (formerly known as ATA129), is being developed for the treatment of patients with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) associated post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder (EBV+ PTLD) who have failed rituximab, as well as other EBV-associated hematologic and solid tumors, including nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). Tab-cel™ is in Phase 3 clinical development for the treatment of EBV+ PTLD following an allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant (MATCH study) or solid organ transplant (ALLELE study).
Atara is also developing off-the-shelf, allogeneic ATA188 and autologous ATA190 T-cell immunotherapies using a complementary targeted antigen recognition technology for specific EBV antigens believed to be important for the potential treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). A Phase 1 clinical study of autologous ATA190 in patients with progressive MS is ongoing. Atara is also advancing a Phase 1 clinical study of ATA188 in patients with progressive or relapsing-remitting MS across clinical sites in the United States and Australia. Atara's clinical pipeline also includes ATA520 targeting Wilms Tumor 1 (WT1) and ATA230 directed against cytomegalovirus (CMV).
Working at Atara Bio
People at Atara Bio are high integrity, roll-up-your-sleeves, get-it-done types who are keenly committed to putting patients first, advancing medical care and doing so with demonstrated urgency. At their core Atarians are people who work well with others and are “team-centric”, have purposeful curiosity and can’t wait to save patient lives. And similar to other biotech companies who have so many accomplished people, we expect humility (we are a “low hubris” sort of place), flexibility, respect, teamwork, good judgment and getting the most out of any dollar we spend. We also expect to enjoy the journey (and each other) as we move forward with a shared responsibility to teach and to learn from what we do and from our teammates.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws or because of the individual’s association with a member of a protected group or connection to an organization or group related to a protected group.
We comply with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Atara Bio in the United States.