Director of Field Application Engineer - Enterprise Servers
Job Description Overview:
The Director of Field Application Engineer is able to perform various kind of server tests using different benchmark tools and other public-known test programs and applications, able to answer customer’s questions and resolve technical issues in timely and professional manner. The roles and responsibilities will involve in all aspects of technical related matters including but not limited to presenting product roadmap, respond to technical requirements, deploy scalable and automated test suites for ASUS POC Sample at customer site and/or manufacturing facilities, resolving technical issues with sense of urgency, drive the technical engineers to fix the issue with quality result and proactively checking the status, feedback and update to Sales and the team for follow up, making sure test and manufacturing runs smooth with customer satisfaction by closing and clearing all open technical issues. The ideal candidate must possess extensive knowledge and experience in related fields, outstanding personality able to work independently with excellent written and verbal communication skills and possesses strong interpersonal skills for cross function and inter-department communications.
The successful candidate needs to be able to capture RD design issues by creating test script or program to automatically run continuous reliability and stress test, has proven track record of working with RD engineering, Manufacturing test & deployment, RMA test to resolve technical issues, able to resolve software and hardware related issues including but not limited to OS and application installations, testing and validation, compilation of drivers from source code, and work even with missing steps in the instructions procedures, able to work with minimal help and work independently, will also work with Sales to win the customer’s deals by providing continuous technical support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with ESBU and solution for technical issues support for all customers in a professional and timely manner
- Manage internal server labs (including labs assets, inventory or samples)
- Lead technical discussions with technology alliance partners
- Ensure overall customer satisfaction from technical side
- Develop, maintain and improve Linux/Windows scripts test automation and error-injection frameworks and tools
- Develop and improve test plan and test cases to identify risk area and validate server based on the product specification and/or customer’s requirement.
- Independently perform routine system hardware and component test or validation
- Responsible and manage end-to-end regression, release testing and deployments
- Perform and improve Thermal test, Burn-in/Aging Test and Reliability Stress Test
- Generate, review and improve documentation including SOP and reports for all test result
- Co-ordinate and provide technical training and support to customer and other internal departments
- Troubleshooting experience with measurement equipment including Oscilloscope, Power Meter, Current meter, etc.
Years of Education
- Computer Science or Electrical Engineering graduates in related field or equivalent years of experience
- Experience with resolving BIOS and BMC issues, and knowledge of ipmi commands.
- Able to resolve customer technical issues in timely and professional manner either by email or verbal or onsite
- At least 8 years of related working experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Hands on work experience and evaluation on various OS, VMware and open source applications/certifications with CLI and scripting is preferred
- Capable of isolating the root cause of the failure independently
- Sound knowledge and experience of various functional tests on BIOS, BMC and IPMI protocols
- Knowhow of benchmark tools and performance tuning for both Linux and Windows
- Bench-work experience with system level or component level of failure analysis is required
- Understanding of API, Redfish test with POSTMAN
- Script programming including Linux Bash, Python, Visual Basic, WScript and other similar scripting experience is required
- Sound experience of setting up Kickstart file in PXE server for both Legacy and UEFI mode
- Deploy CI/CD tools including Jenkins, inject failure using Yaml or similars with different frameworks
- Good documentation practice, summary report and house-keeping is important
- Knowledge of OpenStack, K8s, SQL, Edge computing and Hadoop test is a plus
- Soldering skill is a plus
- Be able to do multi-tasks independently with limited instructions and minimal supervisions
- Good command of English
- Active learner with the new technology and able to work under pressure with multiple projects at the same time to meet deadlines of resolving customer’s technical issues
- Good Team Player, Quality of work, Self-motivate, Self-discipline and Diligent
- Willing to help other short term unexpected projects
- Proven track record of working history with Automated Test scripting, helping customer to resolve technical issues and successfully win the customer or win the deal through the provision of technical service
- Excellent knowledge in computers/servers and the most current technology trends
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally – approximately 30% travel for onsite support at Customer, manufacturing and/or Supplier’s locations
- Approximately 70% working in an office environment, requiring sitting, operating a computer keyboard, telephone and other office equipment for extended periods of time
- Able to lift 30 lbs
- Able to work with overseas customers or suppliers to fulfill the project goal is required
(*Job functions are subject to change at any time)
$150,000 - $200,000 annually is the estimated pay range for this role working in Fremont, California office. The final amount will be determined based on qualifications & experience of the candidate relative to the role. Our employee comprehensive benefits include bonuses, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, AD&D insurance, Paid Time Off, EAP, & 401(k).
ASUS is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy/ breastfeeding, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, sexual orientation, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, as well as any other characteristic protected by law, regulation or local ordinance, and strives to comply with all applicable laws on the subject. These employment decisions extend to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment, pay and other forms of compensation, training and other terms and conditions of employment.