Legal Intern(s) (Data Privacy and Compliance)
Ashoka is a global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs: men and women with systems changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Since 1981, we have elected over 3,500 leading social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows and created a global network of peers in nearly 90 countries. With our global community, we develop models for collaboration and design infrastructure needed to advance the field of social entrepreneurship and the citizen sector. Our Fellows inspire others to adopt and spread their innovations - demonstrating to all citizens that they too have the potential to be powerful changemakers.
The European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) was enacted in 2018, marking a paradigm shift in how we view and use data in the 21st century. Considering the changing privacy landscape, as well as other legal advances, Ashoka established an Integrity team to ensure compliance with these regulations and prepare Ashoka for ongoing changes. The legal intern will be working at the intersection of this paradigm shift and the constant innovation of Ashoka's network, gaining exposure to a broad variety of skills and tasks while learning about this critical issue.
This role will likely include:
- Supporting the team in the implementation of national and international projects concerning the GDPR and other local laws relating to the protection of personal data;
- Responding to legal requests from program managers and country offices;
- Drafting data protection policies, procedures, and contracts;
- Assisting with corporate governance matters;
- Researching data privacy law as it pertains to employment, contracts, social networking platforms, youth, and more;
- Developing data privacy training materials and resources;
- Creating and maintaining internal knowledge articles for other teams; and
- Completing ad hoc assignments from the team.
What We're Looking For:
- Law student pursuing a J.D. from an ABA accredited law school;
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and time management;
- Energy to engage with a highly collaborative team as well as self-motivation and ability to work independently;
- Willingness to learn and ability to translate learning into concrete actions; and
- Interest in data privacy, compliance, social entrepreneurship, and/or nonprofit law.
About the Position
This is an unpaid internship located in Arlington (Rosslyn), Virginia.