Media & Communications Intern
Ashoka Innovators for the Public is an international non-profit organisation that pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship almost 40 years ago. Headquartered in Arlington, Ashoka is the world’s first and largest professional network of social entrepreneurs with over 3500 Ashoka Fellows in 92+ countries.
Ashoka believes in empowering its team members. Volunteers & Interns make up an important part of the Ashoka office and are given a great deal of responsibility during their time here. They are expected to be entrepreneurial and create new avenues of impact while supporting ongoing programmes. Therefore, it is crucial for new team members to be self-starters and hustlers with a true passion for the field of social entrepreneurship.
Ashoka Young Changemakers (Media & Communications) Intern
Ashoka engages with leading media houses, both traditional and new, to put empowered young people at the forefront of the public discourse on future of education, global warming, mental health and other pressing global challenges. Key activities include:
- Interviewing and writing the stories of changemakers and entrepreneurs in the Ashoka network to be published through media partners
- Drafting thought pieces on large trends in different sector like education, future of work etc. with focus on changemaking competencies
- Supporting the team in maintaining a regular calendar of posts and creating targeted promotions to increase the number of active followers on Ashoka India and AYC Global social media channels
- Growing the network of media partners to include prominent social media channels and TEDx platforms
- Developing city-level strategies to engage influencers and implementing them in junction with events like #LeadYoung Forums and Changemaker Days in various cities across India
Ashoka team members are typically entrepreneurial individuals who are willing and able to work in a number of different capacities. Therefore, Interns/Consultants should have:
- Self-motivation and entrepreneurial drive
- Ability to work independently and in a creative, collaborative office environment
- Desire to cause systemic change and gain experience in the social entrepreneurship sector
- Proficiency in English and exceptional communication skills (written and spoken)
- Prior experience in development communication, feature writing, or social media campaign management would be beneficial (but is not mandatory)
- Experience in feature writing/blogging and/or in social media campaign management is prefferable
- Time commitment: 40 hours per week (flexible depending on role)
- Duration: 3 - 6 months (extendable depending on evolving project requirements and personal goals)
- Language: Fluency in English is required, fluency in Hindi and other Indian languages is an added benefit
- Location: Bangalore, India (some Volunteer/Intern roles may be remote – kindly reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume to explore possibilities for remote Comms Internship roles)
- Amenities: Internet, office space, laptop etc.
- Expenses covered: Programme related travel and stationery expenses will be reimbursed; a need-based stipend to cover living expenses may be provided to eligible candidates
- Application deadline: Open round-the-year, apply at the earliest to be considered for the next cycle