Lead Counsel, Global Privacy and Compliance
Ashoka Global Compliance & Privacy Counsel
Ashoka pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship and is the world's largest network of social innovators with over 3,500 Ashoka Fellows in 80 countries. Ashoka builds and cultivates a community of change leaders who see that the world now requires everyone to be a changemaker. Together, we collaborate to transform institutions and cultures worldwide so that they support changemaking for the good of society.
As a global organization focused on the good of society we recognize the importance of privacy as a human right as characterized by the data privacy laws in particular, by the European Union’s GDPR. We also view compliance and risk mitigation as integral to impact. We are seeking additional capacity to ensure that our operations are reflective of our values regarding compliance and privacy.
That additional capacity would be in the form of a Global Privacy and Compliance Manager who will be a member of Ashoka Integrity team, which handles legal and compliance matters, and will lead an international team responsible for ensuring data privacy and regulatory compliance across Ashoka’s global operations. If you are someone who thrives in complexity and derives value from generating operational impact, this could be the role for you, as you support the goal of everyone a changemaker world.
- Work with colleagues across the world to ensure the organization maintains appropriate data privacy processes;
- Ensure compliance with privacy policies, standards, and notices and work cross-functionally to integrate these policy requirements into global operations;
- Support efforts to ensure compliance with cross-border implications;
- Draft, review, and support of legal agreements including ensuring inclusion of applicable data privacy contractual provisions in various agreements;
- Conduct, guide, and participate in risk assessments;
- Develop risk mitigation plans and make implementation recommendations;
- Monitor current and evolving statutes, regulations, and case law and help to identify relevant legal issues;
- Oversee relevant organizational training processes and material development;
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of compliance activity and facilitate auditing;
- Maintain strong coordination, cooperation, and mutual support with other departments such as IT, Human Resources, Finance, Executive Team as well as local operations teams; and
- Respond to regulator queries as appropriate and/or required.
- Law degree with minimum of 3 years’ experience; privacy and/or compliance background strongly preferred;
- Broad background in providing advice and counsel to operating business managers regarding compliance matters;
- Understanding of organizational development and change management processes;
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of and solve problems, and to expeditiously provide recommendations;
- Ability to think creatively, to handle multiple and complex matters, and to work independently and effectively with clients, peers, and other parties;
- Outstanding analytical, writing, and oral presentation skills;
- Comfortable operating in ambiguous situations and finding paths to resolution;
- Outstanding strategic planning and management skills; and
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.