Ashoka Young Changemakers Intern
Ashoka Innovators for the Public is an international non-profit organisation that pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship almost 40 years ago. Headquartered in Arlington, Ashoka is the world’s first and largest professional network of social entrepreneurs with over 3500 Ashoka Fellows in 92+ countries.
Ashoka believes in empowering its team members. Volunteers & Interns make up an important part of the Ashoka office and are given a great deal of responsibility during their time here. They are expected to be entrepreneurial and create new avenues of impact while supporting ongoing programmes. Therefore, it is crucial for new team members to be self-starters and hustlers with a true passion for the field of social entrepreneurship.
Ashoka Young Changemakers (Search, Selection & Engagement) Intern
Ashoka identifies and supports young people under 20 years of age who have launched their own initiatives and have mobilized others to address pressing problems in their communities. Once selected through a rigorous process, Ashoka creates/curates opportunities for each Young Changemaker to grow as a leader. With these changemakers as co-leaders, Ashoka aims to influence key partners and institutions towards creating the 'Everyone A Changemaker' world.
Key activities undertaken by the team in India and Bangladesh include:
- Building partnerships with a range of organisations and individuals in the Indian education space to support Ashoka in the search & selection process
- Coordinating with Ashoka’s global staff and community of young changemakers to review potential candidates
- Organising Selection Panels in Bangalore and Dhaka to present the candidates to an independent jury to be elected as Ashoka Young Changemakers
- Organising community events, creating learning experiences and facilitating sessions for young changemakers to set goals, find synergies, and connect with potential mentors/allies
- Building partnerships to create shared resources like legal support, access to more opportunities etc.
- Working with other country offices to integrate and streamline the search, selection & engagement process globally
Ashoka team members are typically entrepreneurial individuals who are willing and able to work in a number of different capacities. Therefore, Interns/Consultants should have:
- Self-motivation and entrepreneurial drive
- Ability to work independently and in a creative, collaborative office environment
- Desire to cause systemic change and gain experience in the social entrepreneurship sector
- Proficiency in English and exceptional communication skills (written and spoken)
- Experience in community management, educational design, facilitating workshops etc.
- Time commitment: 40 hours per week (flexible depending on role)
- Duration: 3 - 6 months (extendable depending on evolving project requirements and personal goals)
- Language: Fluency in English is required, fluency in Hindi and other Indian languages is an added benefit
- Location: Bangalore, India
- Amenities: Internet, office space, laptop etc.
- Expenses covered: Programme related travel and stationery expenses will be reimbursed; a need-based stipend to cover living expenses may be provided to eligible candidates
- Application deadline: Open round-the-year, apply at the earliest to be considered for the next cycle
In case you do not have a referral, please mention 'Not Applicable' in your application form against the respective question. This is for internal review and does not have an impact on your candidacy.