Youth Change Leader Intern
Youth Change Leader
Ashoka UK & Ireland Internship
Ashoka is an international non-profit organization that pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship almost 40 years ago. We are the world’s first and largest professional network of social entrepreneurs in more than 90 countries.
Today, we are investing in the people and patterns for building an Everyone a Changemaker world in which each person is an active contributor, has the skills to solve problems, and drives change for the good of all. From social entrepreneurs to young changemakers, we need everyone to have the confidence and skills necessary to live in a happier, healthier, more equitable world. And here in the UK, we are enabling and celebrating changemaking across the country – with a particular focus now on the Greater Manchester region.
Read more here about how we pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship to how we are building an Everyone a Changemaker World.
Watch this short video to learn more about our Everyone a Changemaker movement.
We are looking for two dynamic change leaders, aged 18 or above, to develop and implement strategies to activate changemaking in Greater Manchester. They will help us to find, engage with and celebrate young changemakers from the region. They will also help to raise awareness of Ashoka’s Everyone a Changemaker vision. This work will provide each new hire multiple opportunities to develop their communication, partnership-building, and changemaking skills.
The role will be part-time – 2 full days per week – for six months.
What we are looking for
The candidate will have …
- a record of impactful changemaking in Greater Manchester
- experience activating peers to make change
- knowledge of Greater Manchester and which types of changemaking will be most impactful there
- strong communication skills and familiarity with running campaigns across multiple social media platforms
- the ability to network beyond their ‘inner circle’ in order to build relationships with organisations and other changemakers
- a sense of commitment and initiative
- the ability to work independently and embrace collaboration
- familiarity with basic tech and software including Microsoft Teams, Excel, Word, etc.
The successful candidate will also have the right to live and work in the UK.
What you get out of it
This is a great opportunity to experience working in the not-for-profit sector and take on considerable responsibility as a co-leader in our work.
Ashoka will provide:
- opportunities to learn new skills and grow as an impactful changemaker
- space to craft your own experience, set goals for your professional and personal development, and be a co-leader of our Everyone a Changemaker movement
- opportunities to meet partners across Greater Manchester, Ashoka Fellows from around the UK, and global team members to learn more about the organisation’s wide-ranging programs and offerings
- a staff member from the UK & Ireland office to help you develop strategies for your work, and to help you reflect on and assess progress towards your personal and professional goals
- the opportunity to compile a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate your growth as a change leader and contributor to our Everyone a Changemaker movement.
16 hours per week, including every Thursday (09h30 - 17h30) and one other day of the intern's choosing
6 months from the start date
Remote working, with potential for travel around Greater Manchester once the threat of COVID has been neutralised
National Living Wage, thanks to generous funding by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation
To be considered for this role, please submit …
- your CV
- the name, job title, and e-mail address of one adult you’ve worked with who can comment on your changemaking
- your typed response to this question: Why is changemaking so important to you? (Please limit your reply to one page.)
These materials should be uploaded as one file to Jobvite. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applicants whose experience and skill sets match the role's criteria will be invited to interview.
The two successful candidates will start in the role in April and May.
Ashoka is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or religion.