Sr Staff Accountant
American Specialty Health Incorporated is seeking a Sr. Staff Accountant to join our Finance department. This position will assist in the month end closing process by preparing journal entries, reviewing transactions for reasonableness and accuracy, preparing reconciliations and roll forward scheduled and monthly variance analyses. In addition to the month end closing, this position is also responsible for certain tax filings, unclaimed property compliance, and ad hoc projects throughout the month. This position is also responsible for review of some items prepared by the Staff Accountants. This position is responsible for ensuring comprehensive and clear documentation is provided to support and assist the financial reporting team in the preparation of financial statements for the Parent company and its subsidiary companies.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information for entry into general ledger and reporting in the financial statements.
- Applies principles of accounting and maintains the financial records in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, Company policies, Finance Policies and internal controls.
- Adheres to corporate policy with respect to HIPAA and PHI.
- Prepares or reviews the monthly balance sheet reconciliations and ensures a timely completion.
- Prepares a large volume of monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepares or books various closing journal entries
- Prepares a large volume of complex journal entries and posts to X3 general ledger system, timely, with sufficient and clean support.
- Prepares the fixed asset rollforward schedule, including additions, disposals, other transfers and the depreciation calculation for accuracy.
- Prepares or review payroll related journal entries.
- Works with the Senior Accounting Manager and the Controller to prepare the sales commission and communicate with the sales staff. Report to external department(s) regarding payroll, salaries and commissions, if requested.
- Performs analytical review of balance sheet and income statements during the close process, making adjustments for corrections or accruals.
- Supports Supervisor and Senior Accounting Manager in preparation of ad hoc reports and reconciliations.
- Supports and actively participates in annual financial audits, regulatory audits, and other ad hoc health plan audits.
- Review Schedule A requests from various agents, brokers, and third party ERISA compliance agents prepared by Staff Accountants.
- Participates in the documentation and implementation of SOX 404 compliant internal controls and processes.
- Work closely with staff accountants on training and journal entry preparation
- Support the unclaimed property compliance, including research of uncashed checks, research of state requirements, managing due diligence letters and responses, and the state filings.
- Completes ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Bachelor’s degree with a concentration or minor in Accounting.
- Minimum four years of industry or three years public accounting experience. Experience in public accounting preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office including advance experience with Excel and Word. Experience using Sage X3 accounting software is a plus.
- Experience in a Sox 404 compliant environment preferred.
- CPA license is a plus
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem solving, and technical skills including strong knowledge of GAAP accounting.
- Understanding of integrated systems.
- Effective project management skills to facilitate projects, remove barriers, monitor milestones, and accomplish deliverables according to plan.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a positive, respectful manner and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to display excellent customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills to identify critical core competencies based on success factors and organizational environment.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, multi-task and manage time.
- Demonstrated accuracy and productivity in a changing environment with constant interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze information, problems, issues, situations and procedures to develop effective solutions.
- Ability to exercise strict confidentiality in all matters.
Primarily sedentary, able to sit for long periods of time.
Ability to speak, see and hear other personnel and/or objects. Ability to communicate both in verbal and written form. Ability to travel within the facility. Capable of using a telephone and computer keyboard. Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
Usual office setting.
AmericanSpecialty Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact our Human Resources Department at (800) 848-3555 x6702.
ASH will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the Company’s legal duty to furnish information.