Junior Software Engineer
Job Title:Junior Software Engineer
Job type: Permanent
Location:Germany Office, Hamburg
Reporting Relationship: Senior Engineer & Germany IT Manager
Argus is a fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information on commodity markets. As a business, we continue to grow and evolve, adding new markets, new services, new delivery options and improved analytical tools.
Junior Software Engineers are responsible for implementing internal and customer facing applications at Argus, specifically our German Price Reporting Platform.
Technology is central to our continued growth and as such we have invested heavily in our in-house development and data science teams who deliver industry leading digital data solutions. The development teams use some of the latest technologies working on greenfield projects and applying modern development practices.
Working as part of the Argus technology department in our Hamburg office, you will play a pivotal role in the delivery of world class digital data products for our key strategic data, pricing and fundamental initiatives.
- Solving real life problems in software to enhance our applications.
- Contributing to SCRUM meetings, estimates, documentation and other parts of the software development lifecycle.
- Asking the right questions to improve your understanding of our software stack and modern development methods
- Supporting our German users from time to time with IT queries
Essential skills and experience
- A good basic understanding of data structures and databases
- The ability to code to a commercial standard, including unit testing, appropriate use of frameworks and SOLID principles
- Curiosity and eagerness to both teach yourself, and learn from others
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of PHP and the Symfony Framework
- Contao CMS
- MySQL server administration
- Linux server administration (LAMP) / shell scripting
- VBA scripting
Desirable skills and experience
The following are all technical areas that Argus uses or plans to use extensively. Experience and/or interest in one or more of them will be helpful
- The AWS platform, including CloudWatch, CloudFormation and Lambda
- RabbitMQ or similar message queue systems
- Agile development methodology
- Windows server administration
- Windows client administration
About Argus Media
Argus is an independent media organisation with over 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 23 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg.
Our rapidly-growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- 25 days holiday with annual increase up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extensive internal and external training
If this aligns with your next career move, we’d love to hear from you.
Apply via our website www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions