Analyst / Reporter, Oil Products (Base Oil) - Asia
Based in Singapore
Argus is an independent media organisation with 1,200 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 28 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor. Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
What will you be doing?
Did you know that Argus was the first Price Reporting Agency to launch domestic Group III price assessments for Base Oil?
We are looking for a driven, passionate, and resourceful market reporter/analyst to join our editorial team to cover Base Oils, these little-known yet high-value areas of the economy. Base oils manufacture finished lubricants such as automotive engine oils, metal-working fluids, and greases.
This is an excellent opportunity to forge your career covering global commodities and energy. You will learn to make daily chemical price assessments in a sector of the international market and write daily market commentaries and news. Being part of a small team also means there will be cross-training and plenty of opportunity to gain experience in other commodities markets and learn from our experienced Senior Reporters/Editors. In addition, there are opportunities to travel and present papers at industry conferences, and lead webinar sessions.
You do not need commodities or energy industry experience. Instead, intelligence, curiosity, writing ability and a genuine desire to produce quality journalism are the primary qualities we look for in a diverse pool of candidates.
- Monitor and assess fast-moving markets to produce daily price assessments and intelligence, market commentaries, news, analysis, and reports.
- Establish strong relationships with key members of the industry and business leaders through meetings and daily communications to gain an in-depth understanding of your market.
- Proactively generate news leads and pitch stories, contribute copy to the relevant publication and the online news service, and offer contributions to unique content (blog posts, white papers, webinars, podcasts, etc.).
- Collaborate with colleagues on the desk and in other teams to enhance and drive coverage.
- Attend meetings, conferences, and industry events to build contacts, report on news and represent Argus in the industry.
- Build up your industry expertise and writing skills to provide readers with first-class market insights and analysis
What we’re looking for in you
- An articulate graduate with a strong degree
- The ability to develop, verify and write industry-relevant news/content to deadline is preferred
- Prior experience working in financial or commodities journalism is beneficial but not essential
- Excellent writing, grammar, and numeracy skills
- Proficiency working with Excel and interest in further developing data skills.
- Strong coordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team, and a keen eye for detail
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to network and build contacts with industry executives
- Able to work independently whilst also engaging and collaborating in line with the Argus values: Excellence, Integrity, Partnership, and Inclusivity
What’s in it for you:
- Work within a highly motivated team with an industry leader and rapidly growing global company
- Competitive salary and bonus in line with education, experience, and skills
- Hybrid working model - Work from Home options available
- Excellent location at Raffles Place – close to public transport and amenities
- Group Healthcare Scheme (Comprehensive outpatient - GP and specialist, dental and hospitalisation)
- 20 days of annual leave
- Career development and promotion from within the culture
- Ongoing training, mentoring and development opportunities
- Employee Welfare & Employee Assistance Programme
- Cover conferences and events (5-10% of overseas travel is expected).
Earlier or later hours, or weekend hours, may be expected on occasion.
Please send in your application via our official careers website at https://www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions.
Jobs posted on other websites and that do not link to our careers website may not be legitimate and may be fraudulent. If you are contacted by someone whom you suspect may not be appropriately representing Argus, please send the details to us via an email with “Recruitment Fraud” in the subject title.