Agricultural Market Reporter / Senior Reporter
Argus is an established international and fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information on commodity markets, with a network of offices in the US, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We have grown tremendously and are still growing quickly, adding new markets, new services, new delivery options and improved analytical tools.
We are looking for a driven, passionate and resourceful market reporter/analyst to join our editorial team to cover markets and report on deals, price movements and market news and analysis. The team sits within the wider editorial group, comprising several hundred journalists globally.
This is an excellent opportunity to forge your career covering the economically and politically influential Agricultural sector. You will develop and apply your skills across daily pricing and market coverage, news reporting, data analysis, features and other special content in this fast-paced environment with the highest standards of journalistic independence and integrity; and there are opportunities to travel and take part in industry conferences and contribute to webinars and podcasts. The role also involves building strong relationships with industry contacts and market participants and provides scope for numerous networking opportunities. The Reporter will also spearhead the development of market coverage, alongside the existing editorial team.
You will work closely with other reporters, senior reporters, editors and other teams at Argus. We will provide you with training and support for you to develop an in-depth knowledge of the markets. In-house training courses are regularly provided on technical skills as well as content-related courses, and new joiners are also provided with extensive training resources.
- Monitor and assess fast-moving markets to produce daily price assessments and intelligence, market commentaries, news, analysis and reports
- Establish strong relationships with key members of the industry and business leaders through meetings and daily communications to gain an in-depth understanding of your market
- Proactively generate news leads and pitch stories, contribute copy to the relevant publication and the on-line news service, offer contributions to special content (blog posts, white papers, webinars, podcasts, etc.)
- Collaborate with colleagues on the desk and in other teams to enhance and drive coverage
- Attend meetings, conferences and industry events to build contacts, report on news and represent Argus in the industry
- Build up your industry expertise and writing skills to provide readers with first-class market insights and analysis
Skills and Experience
- An articulate graduate with a strong degree
- Ability to develop, verify and write industry-relevant news/content to deadline is preferred
- Knowledge of the Agricultural sector is desired but not essential
- Excellent writing, grammar and numeracy skills (these will be tested as part of the interview process) and a drive to produce high-quality written content
- Ability to use data to generate stories and analysis is preferred, while a willingness to learn is essential
- Excellent communication skills with ability to network and build contacts with industry executives
- Prior experience of working in the financial or commodities journalism is useful but not essential
- Strong co-ordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team, and a keen eye for detail
- Additional languages useful but not essential
- You are inquisitive and have a demonstrable interest in global business and politics
- Self motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with a drive to continuously enhance coverage
- A team-player, with an ability and desire to learn from and collaborate with colleagues in London and globally
About Argus Media
Argus is an independent media organisation with over 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 23 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg.
Our rapidly-growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- 25 days holiday with annual increase up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extensive internal and external training