Senior / Market Analyst, Coal - China
Argus is an independent media organisation with 1,200 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 28 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor. Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for outstanding individuals to join our market analyst team in China to cover reporting on China’s fast-growing energy and commodities space. The successful candidate will join our global network of over 500 dedicated market analysts to connect deeply with the markets they cover, delivering expert market analysis and information not available elsewhere. We pride ourselves on analysing how and why news matter to our high-level audience, which comprises Fortune 500 companies, national oil and energy companies, multinationals, financial institutions, trading companies, and governments.
In this role, you will work in a fast-paced team and cover China's domestic coal and related markets. In addition, you will be writing engaging market intelligence and analysing spot prices that are timely, accurate, objective, and meaningful for our clients. This includes maintaining a strong network of contacts within the industries to source original, relevant and exclusive content. You will be personable and be able to quickly become a subject matter expert and lead coverage within the designated product portfolio. You will enjoy collaborative work with colleagues from various backgrounds, many located in Argus’ other offices around the globe. In addition, there are opportunities to travel, attend industry events, present at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions.
This is an excellent opportunity for market analysts, consultants, or brokers to transfer their skills and knowledge to advance their career by joining a growing, global, independently owned organisation.
To learn more about the report this role covers, please click on the below link:
coal, mining, thermal coal, dry bulk, trade flows, McCloskey’s, coal prices, commodities, power generation, API, seaborne coal, freight, transportation, railroads, logistics, generation fuels, pet coke, petroleum coke, coking coal, emissions, and consulting
- A booming industry, growing company
- Be part of a dynamic, growing business where your input is encouraged
- Opportunities to travel, attend industry events, and present at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions.
- Promising career path within Argus market analysis practice and develop areas of specialization.
What we’re looking for in you
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, economics, business, or relevant field.
- An investigative mind and good writing skills
- Ability to develop, source and write industry-relevant news to deadline
- The role requires an analytical mind, a great attention to detail and a proactive approach to relationship development and source building.
- Experience/knowledge of energy and commodity sectors would be highly advantageous.
- Committed to the highest accuracy level
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite with experience in Excel.
- Aspirations to break news and deliver actionable intelligence on commodities
- Able to work independently whilst also engaging and collaborating in line with the Argus values: Passion, Integrity, Excellence and Results
What’s in it for you:
- We are an award-winning business with double-digit growth over the last decade
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Hybrid working model - Work from Home options available
- Career development and progression opportunities.
- 15 days annual leave
- Group healthcare scheme
- Career development and promotion from within culture
- Ongoing training, mentoring and development opportunities
- Employee Welfare & Employee Assistance Programme
- Business meetings, cover conferences and events (5-10% of domestic/overseas travel is expected).
Earlier or later hours, or weekend hours, may be expected on occasion.
Please send in your application via our official careers website at https://www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions.
Jobs posted on other websites and that do not link to our careers website may not be legitimate and may be fraudulent. If you are contacted by someone whom you suspect may not be appropriately representing Argus, please send the details to us via an email with “Recruitment Fraud” in the subject title.