Market Reporter/Business Journalist– Energy and Commodities
Journalist / Market Reporter – Energy and Commodities
Argus is an independent media organisation with 1,200 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 27 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor. Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
We report first-hand on what’s happening globally in the energy space – from hydrogen to coal, crude oil to green ammonia, carbon markets to wind farms. And we do the same for economically vital markets in agriculture, fertilizers, metals and chemicals.
We employ almost 500 journalists worldwide and have 26 offices in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, China, Japan, Singapore and North and South America.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for a passionate and resourceful reporter to join one of our teams in central London.
You will be a skilled writer, a lateral thinker as well as a logical one, driven by an interest in the economics of markets. You will be able to engage with contacts, develop relationships, and work collaboratively.
You do not need prior experience of commodities markets. Intelligence, curiosity, writing ability and a real desire to become a journalist are the primary qualities we look for in a very diverse pool of candidates.
What will you be doing?
The job is a challenging mix of reporting on market movements, assessing prices, analysing data, producing expert analysis and writing breaking news.
We provide extensive training in good writing, market assessment, industry understanding, source development, and data analysis.
There are many opportunities to travel, to meet contacts, and to present papers at conferences and on webinars. There are also opportunities to work in other Argus offices around the world.
Reporting on and writing about markets is one of the most difficult and rewarding of all journalistic disciplines. Information is hard to find and verify; Argus customers expect the highest standards of analysis, accuracy and journalistic ethics; deadlines are unbreakable; and a mix of self-reliance and teamwork are essential. But working for Argus offers an outstanding grounding in many vital skillsets and areas of human knowledge, working on the frontiers of the energy transition and the future economics of the world.
Skills and Experience
- Ability to develop, source and write news to deadline
- Excellent written, grammatical and numeracy skills
- Ability to analyse data and write engaging content
- Excellent communication skills with aptitude to network and build contacts
- Strong software skills, notably Excel, and ability to learn new software
- Strong co-ordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team
- Prior experience of working in the financial, energy, or journalism sector is useful but not essential
- Additional languages useful but not essential
- Self-motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with an inquisitive nature
- Critical thinking with excellent communication skills
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- Flexible working environment
- 25 days holiday with annual increase up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extensive internal and external training
For more details about the company and to apply please make sure you upload your CV with a Cover Letter via our website: www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
By submitting your job application, you automatically acknowledge and consent to the collection, use and/or disclosure of your personal data to the Company. Argus is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.