Commodities Analyst / Senior Analyst – China
Commodities Analyst / Senior Analyst – China
Based in Beijing / Shanghai
Argus is an independent organisation with 1,300 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 29 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor. Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network. Our core values are Excellence, Integrity, Partnership and Inclusivity.
What will you be doing?
As part of our expansion in China, we are looking for outstanding individuals to join our growing market analyst team to cover reporting on the fast-growing energy and commodities space in China.
The successful candidates will join our global network of over 500 dedicated market analysts to connect deeply with the markets they cover, delivering expert market analysis and information not available elsewhere. We pride ourselves on analysing how and why news matter to our high-level audience that comprises Fortune 500 companies, national oil and energy companies, multi-nationals, the finance institutions, trading companies, and governments.
This is an excellent opportunity for an analytical, inquisitive, numerate, and literate market analyst, consultant, broker to transfer their skills and knowledge to a commodities news, and analysis business. In this role, you will be working within a fast-paced team and help to expand our global coverage of the commodities market. You will be writing engaging market intelligence and analysing spot prices that are timely, accurate, objective, and meaningful for our clients. This includes maintaining a strong network of contacts within the industries to source original, relevant and exclusive content. You will be markets innately curious and personable and be able to quickly become a subject matter expert and lead coverage within a designated product portfolio. You will enjoy collaborative work with colleagues from a range of backgrounds, many located in Argus’ other offices around the globe. There are opportunities to travel and attend industry events, as well as to present at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions.
You do not need prior experience of commodities markets. Intelligence, curiosity, writing ability and a real desire to become a journalist are the primary qualities we look for in a very diverse pool of candidates. The compensation will commensurate based on the individual’s background.
- Booming industry, growing company
- Be part of a dynamic, growing business where your input is encouraged
- Opportunities to travel and attend industry events, as well as to present at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions.
- Gain exposure to a wide range of energy and commodities markets including crude, petroleum products, natural gas, LPG and other gas liquids, biofuels, petrochemicals, coal and biomass, fertilizer, metals.
- Good career path within Argus market analysis practice and develop areas of specialization.
What we’re looking for in you
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, economics, business, history, or relevant field.
- An investigative mind and good-writing skills
- The role requires an analytical mind, a high attention to detail and a proactive approach to relationship development and source building.
- Experience of energy and commodity sectors would be highly advantageous.
- A commitment to the highest level of accuracy and completing all writing within established deadlines.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite with experience in Excel.
- Aspirations to break news and deliver actionable intelligence on commodities
- Believe in the following Argus values: Passion, Integrity, Excellence and Results
What’s in it for you
- We are an Award-winning business with double digit growth over the last decade – the business continues to grow
- Competitive salary and company bonus structure
- Hybrid working model - Work from Home options available
- Career development and progression opportunities.
- 15 days annual leave
- Group healthcare scheme
- Ongoing training, mentoring and development opportunities
- Employee Welfare & Employee Assistance Programme
- Cover client meetings, conferences, and events (5-10% of domestic/overseas travel is expected).
Monday through Friday, 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Earlier or later hours, or weekend hours, may be expected on occasion.
We're not engaging any recruitment agencies for this role, so if you're interested, please apply directly.
Please send in your application via our official careers website at https://www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions.
Jobs posted on other websites and that do not link to our careers website may not be legitimate and may be fraudulent. If you are contacted by someone whom you suspect may not be appropriately representing Argus, please send the details to us via an email with “Recruitment Fraud” in the subject title.