Senior Financial Analyst
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
Are you an entrepreneurial finance professional? Do you want to help shape strategy and work closely with the leadership of a fast-paced, growing publicly-traded company? If so, this role may be for you.
AppFolio is hiring a Sr. Financial Analyst in our Santa Barbara office which will represent FP&A as a business partner for the AppFolio Investment Management product. This individual will work cross-functionally to develop and manage operating plans and ensure the achievement of financial objectives within the business. Responsibilities include business partnering, financial analysis and modeling, creating and managing budgets, and developing scalable processes to effectively manage financial performance and improve forecast accuracy.
What You’ll Do
- In partnership with business line owners & SVP of Investment Management, develop and maintain financial forecasts for the business and track key variances, changes, and opportunities in actual results vs forecasts
- Develop, own, and maintain all revenue models utilizing the financial forecasting system, Adaptive Planning
- Prepare and automate monthly and quarterly financial reporting packages for review, including detailed variance explanations against budget and forecast to understand performance drivers
- Support strategic business decision making through financial modeling and analysis for business and product teams, including ad hoc modeling and analysis
- Support the annual budgeting & quarterly forecasting processes for Investment Management including development of revenue models, department-specific budgets and related KPI analysis
- Meet with business line owners monthly on revenue performance, as well as headcount and operating expense planning; be able to communicate drivers and insights in conjunction with recommendations on potential action
- Utilize our financial forecasting and planning tool, Adaptive Planning, to build and maintain complex, dynamic revenue forecast models that help drive business insights
- Partner with Accounting to ensure accurate accruals and adherence to accounting policies
- Ad-hoc reporting, analysis, and special projects as needed
What We’re Looking For
- Analytical: Ability to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and make recommendations or decisions.
- Attention to Detail: Don't let important details “slip” through the cracks.
- Autonomous: Can work independently and manage a wide variety of projects simultaneously under tight deadlines, yet knows when to ask for help.
- Creativity: We’re solving novel problems; doing the same things we’ve done in the past may work sometimes, but it won’t always be enough. Creative, elastic thinking is critical to our success.
- Communication + Influence: Strong written and oral communication skills; can influence across the organization, inspire confidence and garner support for strategic initiatives.
- Discretion & Confidentiality: Ability to exercise discretion, judgment, tact and poise in handling highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Project Management: Project management and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to navigate in a fast-paced & performance-oriented environment
- Collaborative: Can develop and maintain cross-functional business partnerships with professionalism
- Degree in Accounting or Finance or related fields; MBA Preferred
- 5+ years FP&A experience or equivalent tenure from related positions in corporate finance, accounting, data analytics and at least two years experience in a startup or high-growth SaaS company
- Experience working with a SaaS revenue model, related revenue recognition and SaaS metrics desired
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel required; experience with Adaptive Insights, Tableau and other financial systems preferred
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to find solutions without specific step-by-step instructions.
- Highly organized and motivated with the ability to work on multiple projects while delivering results in a timely manner
- Demonstrated success in building effective partnerships and managing relationships at all levels.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.