Software Architect, Backend
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based software company that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
AppFolio is hiring a Backend Architect to own the architectural evolution and overall engineering quality for the applications that compose the AppFolio Property Management Backend from API down through the database. This role will be responsible for improving the modularization/structure, the overall health of the codebase, and ease of continuous development. Our product platform consists primarily of a large Ruby on Rails / MySQL application, surrounded by several dozen independent services, with a REST API and growing GraphQL layer as the ‘top-of-our-backend’ interfaces, and React apps on top. Our infrastructure is abstracted using proprietary tooling, and orchestrated using Kubernetes. We deploy daily, and are working towards CD. You’ll be leading our architecture evolution towards supporting that capability, and making sure our codebase becomes better organized as we grow, so our engineers have a great developer experience.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintain a long term architectural vision for our core product components from the database up to and including the API level
- Provide technical leadership to teams of engineers who support our architectural evolution through refactors, establishing and teaching better code patterns and other practices
- Mentor emerging architectural talent among our engineers
- Partner with other leaders in product development to ensure that our architecture supports current and future needs
- Partner with Front-end and Infrastructure architects to ensure that our overall system is coherent and well-aligned
- Be (willing and able to quickly become) an expert on all our critical backend technologies, including MySQL, Ruby on Rails, and related frameworks and technologies
- Write code. If you don’t want to write code anymore, you should not be an architect on our team
Note: These are not the sole responsibility of the person in the role; they have a team to support them, including a Director to support the architect with organizational needs such as hiring, coaching and managing teams, and cross-departmental support building. It is the architect’s responsibility to maintain a clear picture of technical complexity across the whole, maintain the architectural vision, assess and provide technical solutions in a hands-on manner (deliver prototypes - not just documents), be a technical leader for engineers on the team, and mentor the most high-impact technical talent across AppFolio.
- Breaks down large problems into constituent pieces
- Understands industry trends and best practices
- Ability to understand the details of AppFolio’s core technologies
- Has (the ability to quickly gain) deep knowledge of our platform and product
- Has a solid understanding of architectural principles
- Understands how to assess and mitigate risk
- Has a bias to action and delivery of value incrementally
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving (doesn’t boil the ocean)
- Has (the ability to quickly gain) the respect and trust by the APM engineering team
- Highly collaborative -- leads through influence
- Hands-on -- happy to roll up sleeves and write code
- Perseveres in the face of extremely challenging, long-term problems
- Communicates frequently and proactively
- Enjoys mentoring others
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.