Staff Data Engineer
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based Software company that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
Whom we are looking for:
We are hiring a Senior or Staff Data Engineer to contribute to our growing Data Operations team. We work collaboratively to set the technical direction for our Data Platform, developing easy-to-use solutions for our customers. You’ll get the opportunity to work to develop, design, and operate all aspects of the Data Platform infrastructure.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has a passion for building a leading-edge data platform and is driven to work as an individual contributor and a great team player. We foster an environment that empowers small teams to collaboratively set the technical direction of our solutions.
- Design, build, deploy, and operate next generation data infrastructure.
- Develop and promote Apache Kafka best practices in the Data platform.
- Collaborate with engineers and analysts to ensure that our data infrastructure meets the needs of our most data-intensive customers
- Develop techniques for monitoring the correctness and reliability of our data infrastructure
- Leverage agile practices, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace
- Research, share, and recommend new technologies and trends
You know you’re the right fit if…
- You've worked with Apache Kafka in production
- You have excellent SQL skills and have worked with change data capture systems in production
- You have experience working with Infrastructure as Code, configuration management, and monitoring tools. Our team uses Terraform, Ansible, and Datadog.
- You have some experience working with languages like Python or Ruby.
- You care about work-life balance and want your company to care about it too; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit.
- You want to work with a high degree of autonomy, while at the same time working on initiatives of high importance to the company.
Additional Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience with Confluent, Kafka Connect, Kafka Streams or KSQLDB is desirable
- Experience with CDC (change data capture) systems in general, or Debezium in particular, is highly desirable.
- Experience with clickstream tracking technology in general, or Snowplow in particular, is desirable.
- Experience with data warehouse technology is desirable, particularly with Snowflake.
- Experience in visualization tools like tableau
- Experience with containers and container orchestration tools. Docker and Kubernetes experience in particular is desirable.
- Light data science skills for analyzing data and communicating with ML engineers a plus.
Nice to Have:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or other quantitative fields.
- Experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Experience with AWS
If you are interested in creating exceptional SaaS products, and contributing to a successful company, apply today!
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.