Senior Manager, Analytics
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
Who Are We Looking For?
A Sr. Manager for Analytics that can act as the Single Point Owner (SPO) over Value Added Services, and manage all service-suite-specific SPOs to help drive business outcomes through driving competitive advantage for AppFolio in the real estate space, by providing clarity of business health, identify revenue opportunities, reveal target markets, empower product feature launches and optimize operations.
What You’ll Do
Act as the Value Added Services (V+) Analytics SPO, while owning/operating Analytics for ~30% of the company’s revenue; drive positive business outcomes across V+ by helping leaders translate business insights into strategies for optimal execution, via data analytics.
- Prioritize product and business analytics asks based on impact and urgency and in alignment with overall business goals, as well as establish goals and drive outcomes via data driven practices that tie to the overall business strategy.
- Ensure overall alignment and best-practice analytics strategies are in place, across all value added services.
- Provide overall reporting to executive leadership, via aggregate views across value added services.
- Use deep business line understanding to evolve/refine metric-set and revenue models for new and existing businesses/products, in partnership with Finance.
- Establish a recurring platform for sharebacks, to provide clarity on impacts and new focuses, such as through a newsletter, or in the greater business QBR framework.
Oversee and coordinate Analytics work to be best-practice and cross-functional, driving business actions and producing meaningful outcomes.
- Manage the delivery and quality of exploratory work, around customers profiles and usage.
- Manage cluster/categorical/classification analyses to understand user profiles and develop targeting strategies that optimize/personalize the end user experience or inform product-market fit.
- Manage and provide impact reporting for piloting and experimentation of new features/content, service price changes, and marketing materials focused on service attachment/adoption, to optimize business/product decisioning.
- Look for opportunities to involve CX, UX and Product teams to balance qualitative and quantitative perspectives on analyses and outcomes.
Hire/grow/develop/manage/direct high-performing, highly engaged Analytics single-point owners (SPOs) that are focused on driving business outcomes for their services.
- Prepare SPOs to own the analytics for their service suite, manage communications/prioritization with stakeholders, and facilitate necessary partnerships across teams to “get the job done” for anything data. SPOs should understand the business they support as deeply as their V+/Product counterparts and are considered invaluable, trusted advisors.
- Provide tailored analytical support for our stakeholders, by deploying best-fit strategies and techniques for each service suite, and partnering appropriate skill-sets and soft-skills of talent with stakeholder groups, while continuing to monitor and adjust throughout the year.
- Invest in existing and new members of the team through training, certifications, mentorship and partnerships.
- Hire the necessary talent to execute the overall data analytics vision, with well-defined responsibilities and ownership, applying best practices using the WHO methodology to hire/build a team of A players while performance managing B/C players.
What We’re Looking For
- Analytical skills and business acumen – able to identify, measure and impact the important metrics needed to manage and develop line of business; able to simplify complex content
- Communication – able to provide clear communication regarding our overall strategy and each business line’s strategy (what we are doing, why, how it impacts) to all levels internally and externally
- Creative problem solving – able to use creativity and curiosity as tools to pick apart any problem, producing a solution which is relevant and realistic
- Customer focus – understand needs of Business Leaders as well as cross-departmental associates and strive to delight at each touchpoint and level of interaction
- Proactivity – takes action without being told what to do at each step; generates novel ideas and processes to drive the business and team forward
- Growth minded – has a desire to learn and improve in all areas related to work, but also has a strong desire to branch out and learn new skills which may apply to current or future tasks
- Leadership – able to train, mentor, manage and develop a team to meet objectives; provides guidance and direction without sacrificing team’s ability to work self-sufficiently
- Goal orientation – able to execute on short term plans while developing longer-term vision; able to make trade-offs for longer term opportunities
- Systems Thinking – sees a system among disparate parts in order to balance finding simple solutions to the complex problems at hand, while working towards long term holistic solutions
Company Values-based Competencies
- Simpler is Better: Demonstrates the thought, discipline and inclination towards simple v. complex solutions.
- Great, Innovative Products are Key to a Great Business: Generates and brings other’s new and creative ideas forward.
- Great People Make a Great Company (Hiring & Developing): Has a nose for talent and hires the best people available from the inside or outside. Is not afraid of selecting strong people. A people builder who provides challenging and stretch goals to develop and motivate their team.
- Listening to Customers is in Our DNA: Applies a deep understanding of customers to make customer-friendly / customer-centered decisions.
- Small, Focused Teams Keep Us Agile: Spends their time and focuses the team on the critical few actions that are most important. Can eliminate roadblocks and demonstrates ability to say “no”.
- We Do the Right Thing; It's Good for Business: Always operates with integrity, especially when faced with tough situations.
Aligns with Analytics Values:
“Data driven” means our narratives, interpretations, and conclusions are based on results from analysis and do not lead analysis.
- Anticipate Risks: We consider any potential risk of harm with results to any relevant population (e.g., customers, customers’ customers, etc.) and use this as part of our decision to conduct analyses and if so, how to do so ethically.
- Consider All Variables: We consider a wide range of potential variables to consider in analysis to ensure analyses are thorough and as objective as possible.
- Approach Testing Scientifically: Testing criteria are established by scientific means in order to avoid any bias towards particular groups/cohorts.
- Build Models Transparently & Ethically: Model inputs and their contribution to model results/decisions are transparent, understood, and documented. Productionized models are regularly assessed for unethical feedback loops or impacts.
- Impact-Aware: Decision making connected to our tests and models consider impact to all relevant populations, including but not limited to the business.
- MS or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field; or equivalent professional experience.
- 3-5 years of people management experience.
- 5-8 years of work experience in a Data Analytics / Data Science role.
- Strong business acumen and experience in a business setting.
- Strong Tableau, SQL, R (or Python) and Excel skills required.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce suggested.
- Ability to support, work and communicate with a fast, cross-functional team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Listening and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate ideas in both technical and business terms
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.