Senior Software Engineer - Customer Onboarding
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
**NOTE: Our major development hubs are based in Santa Barbara, CA, and San Diego, CA. However, we're open to exploring remote-first working arrangements in other locations around the United States if relocation is not desired.**
Who we are looking for...
We are hiring a Full Stack Senior Software Engineer to join an exceptional team and become a technical domain expert in our customer onboarding space. Onboarding is the beginning of our customers’ journey into our product, and this is our chance to make a great first impression. On this team, we design, improve, and maintain the onboarding experience for new AppFolio Property Manager customers. This starts with a data migration, where new customers take data from their existing system and import it into AppFolio. Customers can manage hundreds or even thousands of rental units and need to import data related to their properties, tenants, owners, vendors, and more. That’s a lot of data, and things can get complicated pretty quickly. From here, we guide customers to configure the software to best suit their needs. Finally, our newly onboarded customers learn and adopt our workflows to run their business. Adopting and learning a new software is a challenging and stressful task with a high learning curve. It doesn’t have to be that way.
We see a future where customers can import their data seamlessly and accurately. They will have an intuitive, self-serve flow in the product to configure, learn and adopt our core workflows - ultimately allowing them to more quickly experience the value that compelled them to purchase AppFolio Property Manager.
- Build a deep understanding of our existing import code and onboarding processes - enabling you and your team to truly own the domain.
- Research and determine key architecture and design decisions to build a scalable, robust, yet simple data migration and onboarding experience - this will involve some combination of leveraging our existing technology, refactoring, integrating with partners, or starting from scratch when it makes sense.
- Participate in customer research/discovery with Product to understand customer problems, needs, and estimate technical feasibility of various potential solutions.
- Work in a truly agile fashion to turn a massive, unruly problem into thinly sliced deliverables and execute quickly against them while limiting work in progress.
- Hold a high bar of engineering excellence and always look for ways to raise it. Adopt our engineering best practices, provide and receive in-depth code reviews, and participate in healthy debate as a team. Evangelize your own expertise and experience among your teammates and the rest of the organization.
- Prioritize quality. Thoughtful test coverage is a given and any escalations from external stakeholders like our onboarding or customer care teams are handled and resolved swiftly.
- Together with your team, your deliverables are always well-instrumented. Queries and dashboards are easily accessible and regularly used to drive decisions as well as to measure progress.
- Enthusiastically participate in a high-performing, empowered team with high levels of mutual trust and respect. Along with the team, you will take ownership of your problem space - reflecting and growing from our failures and celebrating our successes.
You know you're the right fit if…
- Extensive experience developing web applications, preferably in an agile SaaS environment.
- Proven experience working across all levels of the development stack.
- Mastery experience with a few areas of our tech like Ruby on Rails, React, SQL
- Strong familiarity with Agile software development processes: Scrum or Kanban
- Strong familiarity with Test-Driven-Development
- Creativity and proactivity - an ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- You love to learn about and use new tech, but understand the value of continuing to leverage existing technology when it gets the job done.
- You care about the long-term maintainability of the codebase and advocate for refactoring and code cleanliness.
- You can identify and resolve code-smells through sensible refactoring.
Additional Skills and Knowledge:
- 5+ years of experience working in software engineering teams
- Comfortable working with remote team members
- Ability to think pragmatically and effectively balance business outcomes with technical goals
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with peers across other platform development teams
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.