Staff Product Data Analyst
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
Who Are We Looking For?
A Staff Product Data Analyst that will influence the evolution of Product Analytics as a whole, as a thought-partner to the Director of Data Science. They will help build a new normal for how Product Analytics looks and functions. Additionally, they will own the growth and execution of Analytics for our core product (internally called “Common Services”), in-line with the product development strategy, as a Single Point Owner (SPO) in this space. This is to be done through partnered, but self-directed and self-driven work. They will empower strategic product decisions to optimize the performance of our core product, while mediating across functions and executing/facilitating mixed-method data analytics.
What You’ll Do
- Act as the right-hand analytics person to Senior Director of our core product.
- Influence the greater implementation of Product Analytics for the product org, by educating a best-practice metric architecture, while encouraging the adoption of data informed and self-service analytics, via the instrumentation of Product Analytics tooling.
- As an Analytics SPO for our core product, act as a mediator/facilitator, by establishing and fostering strong partnerships and regular communications across functions (i.e. Product, Engineering, UX, CX, etc) to help identify, prioritize, and execute against the most important projects for the core product’s performance.
- Deeply understand our core product’s landscape, goals, and strategy, ensuring that analytics are connected to, informed by, and grow/enhance the product.
- As SPO, know and own the quality of the data that supports our core product; monitor data quality and partner to fix issues.
- Complete or partner on analyses and experiments that uncover and amplify the product strategy, directly tying a line between insights and improved outcomes for the product.
- Ensure each product flow has a line of sight into a set of informed KPIs necessary to ensure successful adoption.
- Provide our core product leaders with a set of dashboards that provide a clear line of sight into their performance, enabling them to make data-driven decisions and create/execute strategies that will help them reach their goals.
- Strong Product Analytics knowledge from a SAAS company.
- MS or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field; or equivalent professional experience.
- 8+ years of work experience in a Product Analytics role.
- Strong competency with Tableau, SQL, Excel and Python (or R).
- Strong competency with Product Analytics tools (i.e. Mixpanel, Amplitude, etc).
- Good business acumen and experience in a business setting.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to support, work and communicate with a fast, cross-functional team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
What We’re Looking For
- Analytical skills and business acumen – able to identify, measure and impact the important metrics needed to manage and develop line of business; able to simplify complex content
- Communication – able to provide clear communication regarding our overall strategy and each business line’s strategy (what we are doing, why, how it impacts) to all levels internally and externally
- Creative problem solving – able to use creativity and curiosity as tools to pick apart any problem, producing a solution which is relevant and realistic
- Customer focus – understand needs of Business Leaders as well as cross-departmental associates and strive to delight at each touchpoint and level of interaction
- Proactivity – takes action without being told what to do at each step; generates novel ideas and processes to drive the business and team forward
- Growth minded – has a desire to learn and improve in all areas related to work, but also has a strong desire to branch out and learn new skills which may apply to current or future tasks
- Leadership – able to train, mentor, manage and develop a team to meet objectives; provides guidance and direction without sacrificing team’s ability to work self-sufficiently
- Goal orientation – able to execute on short term plans while developing longer-term vision; able to make trade-offs for longer term opportunities
- Systems Thinking – sees a system among disparate parts in order to balance finding simple solutions to the complex problems at hand, while working towards long term holistic solutions
Company Values-based Competencies
- Simpler is Better: Demonstrates the thought, discipline and inclination towards simple v. complex solutions.
- Great, Innovative Products are Key to a Great Business: Generates and brings other’s new and creative ideas forward.
- Great People Make a Great Company (Hiring & Developing): Has a nose for talent and hires the best people available from the inside or outside. Is not afraid of selecting strong people. A people builder who provides challenging and stretch goals to develop and motivate their team.
- Listening to Customers is in Our DNA: Applies a deep understanding of customers to make customer-friendly / customer-centered decisions.
- Small, Focused Teams Keep Us Agile: Spends their time and focuses the team on the critical few actions that are most important. Can eliminate roadblocks and demonstrates ability to say “no”.
- We Do the Right Thing; It's Good for Business: Always operates with integrity, especially when faced with tough situations.
Aligns with Analytics Values:
“Data driven” means our narratives, interpretations, and conclusions are based on results from analysis and do not lead analysis.
- Anticipate Risks: We consider any potential risk of harm with results to any relevant population (e.g., customers, customers’ customers, etc.) and use this as part of our decision to conduct analyses and if so, how to do so ethically.
- Consider All Variables: We consider a wide range of potential variables to consider in analysis to ensure analyses are thorough and as objective as possible.
- Approach Testing Scientifically: Testing criteria are established by scientific means in order to avoid any bias towards particular groups/cohorts.
- Build Models Transparently & Ethically: Model inputs and their contribution to model results/decisions are transparent, understood, and documented. Productionized models are regularly assessed for unethical feedback loops or impacts.
- Impact-Aware: Decision making connected to our tests and models consider impact to all relevant populations, including but not limited to the business
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Our software solutions exist in the real estate vertical, including AppFolio Property Manager and AppFolio Investment Management.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.