Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
Who we are looking for:
We are hiring a Sr. Machine Learning Software Engineer to contribute to our rapid product development pace. Our Engineers work collaboratively to set the technical direction for our SaaS products, developing easy-to-use solutions for our customers.
We are looking for machine learning engineers to help us bring next-generation products to market. The ideal candidate will be a curious, rigorous, team-player who is passionate about bringing real AI products to life. The ideal candidate will also be versatile and able to apply a wide variety of technical skills to solve problems.
This opening is on our AppFolio Property Manager product development team, working closely with our CTO.
- Work with our product development teams to design and develop machine learning and deep learning systems to build customer facing products and features
- Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering team members, QA, and product owners, and our customers
- Leverage both AppFolio’s structured and unstructured datasets to build new features and products that customers love
- Exploring and visualizing complex data sets in order to gain insights.
- Analyzing multiple ML algorithms that could be used to solve a given problem and use your seasoned intuition to rank their likelihood of success.
- Leverage agile practices, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace
- Train models and tune their hyperparameters
- Implementing preprocessing and feature engineering
- Deploying models to production: You know basics of important industrial programming and deployment techniques such as unit tests, continuous integration and good monitoring
- Research, share, and recommend new technologies and trends
You know you’re the right fit if…
- You’re experienced with all parts of the model building ecosystem: You can go from raw dirty data to a well performing model that runs on-demand in production.
- You have hands-on experience developing real products that are enabled by machine learning technology, preferably in a SaaS environment
- You love learning about new technologies, but love building real products more.
- You have high degree of initiative, creativity, persistence and a strong focus on producing tangible results
- You have the ability to take academic or commercial models and concepts (including from other fields) and translate them into working code to solve problems
- You are comfortable working in a Linux command line and have programming skills in Python, Java, or closely related object-oriented language
- You care about work life balance and want your company to care about it to; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit.
Additional Skills and Knowledge:
- Programming skills in Python or similar object-oriented language
- Experienced user of SQL, Git and Linux
- BS in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science or other quantitative field.
- Applied Machine Learning fundamentals such as decision trees, neural networks, statistical modeling, and/or clustering
Nice to Have:
- PhD or MS in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science or other quantitative field.
- Experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Experience with AWS, Spark, Docker, TensorFlow or pytorch
- Publicly verifiable work on Github or in Kaggle competitions
If you are interested in creating exceptional SaaS products, and contributing to a successful company, apply today!
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.