Director, Software Engineering
Who we are:
AppFolio was founded by the team that built GoToMeeting, a market leading enterprise software solution. We have extensive experience in software development and continue to lead the way in providing our customers with user-friendly, intuitive, and innovative solutions. Our headquarters is in Santa Barbara with other key offices in Dallas and San Diego.
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive Pay
- Full Benefits
- 20 PTO Days
- Amazing company culture
- Room to grow and tons of mentoring
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- A fully stocked break room with all kinds of snacks and goodies
- Being a part of a rapidly growing startup company in SaaS
What we are looking for:
The Director of Engineering will manage and continue to grow a world‐class software engineering team and drive the successful delivery of platforms and products while contributing to the product strategy, platform, and roadmap.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has a passion for building leading edge software, loves growing highly productive technical teams, and is driven to build a successful SaaS product used by thousands of happy businesses. We foster an environment that empowers small teams to collaboratively set the technical direction of our solutions.
- Lead, coach and support a highly effective team of passionate engineers to foster a high performance culture.
- Recruit world‐class engineering talent and participate in the recruiting flow including attracting, screening, and closing high caliber candidates.
- Build trusting relationships and collaborate cross departmentally to execute on company strategy.
- Set the technical direction for the team, drive the evolution of the systems architecture, and make appropriate technology choices.
- Manage the delivery of software using Agile best practices including continuous deployment, continuous integration and test driven development.
- Take a hands-‐on approach to the entire software development lifecycle: perform day-‐to-‐day project management to ensure successful, on-‐time releases; demonstrate ownership and accountability for the team’s delivery.
- Work effectively with product managers, engineers and the engineering leadership team to allocate engineering resources appropriately across various projects, including balancing customer needs with longer-‐term product roadmap needs.
- Promote a SMART codebase (Simple, Maintainable, Agile, Refactored and Tested) for a SAFE product (Secure, Available, Fast and Easy).
- Implement processes and metrics to ensure that the team is extremely efficient and focused, and that products are market ready.
- Enable a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation and excellence while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our engineering organization.
- Create a productive work environment, and keep the team focused and fulfilled.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of AppFolio as a company and how their work fits into the bigger picture.
Skills & Knowledge:
- BS, MS, or Ph.D in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Proven experience leading engineering teams during the evolution of the Engineering function from start-‐up to mid lifecycle.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, managing, coaching and retaining world-‐class engineers.
- Software development experience building ASP, enterprise SaaS, cloud based solutions, or consumer web platforms supporting millions of users and billions of online transactions per month.
- Demonstrated experience leading the design, development, delivery and maintenance of large scale and high performance platforms, including online web and data/analytics processing.
- Recent experience using Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of release management and deployment workflow processes, from development release through staging and production deployment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a proven ability to build productive cross-departmental relationships and motivate team members. Must have a positive, can-do attitude and value collaboration.
If you are interested in creating exceptional SaaS products and being part of a successful hypergrowth company, apply today!
No outside recruiter or agency submissions, please. Such submissions will be considered free to AppFolio