Leadership Development Manager
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
AppFolio is looking for an experienced Leadership Development Manager to join our Learning & Development team in Santa Barbara. This isn’t just a run-of-the-mill L&D job – it’s an opportunity to make a lasting impact on a growing company by taking ownership of leadership development programs for our key business leaders. You’ll be responsible for creating and delivering innovative, high-quality programs that grow great leaders and managers in ways that carry forward and evolve our unique culture. You will be our internal expert on developing leaders and managers, collaborating closely within our talented People Development team as well as with partners from across the company.
What You’ll Do
- Create, organize, and deliver leadership development programs that provide opportunities for leaders to connect and learn from colleagues from other parts of the business they may not have interacted with.
- Build out a comprehensive next-level leadership development strategy to supplement our existing leadership offerings and ensure that leaders and managers can grow their skills and capabilities in parallel with the growth of our business.
- Support the roll-out and incorporation of AppFolio’s leadership characteristics into all leadership development programs and materials, to ensure that leaders at all levels are equipped to carry forward and evolve our unique culture.
- Manage leadership coaching program that support individual leaders’ growth, for a growing number of participants.
- Design and facilitate manager training offerings through a variety of formats (in person, online, self-paced, microlearning videos, written materials, intranet sites).
- Develop and deliver tailored department and team learning sessions, both proactively and in response to emerging requests.
- Implement new measurement methods that demonstrate the impact of our leadership development programs on the overall success of AppFolio’s business.
What We’re Looking For
- Leadership Development: Strong background in learning & development and understanding of how people learn. Able to assess needs and create engaging training content (in-person & online). Adapt methods for people with different experiences, backgrounds, and learning styles. Strong facilitation & coaching skills.
- Experience with Senior Leaders: Speak the language of the business and interact effectively with leaders. Deep insight into the specific learning needs of senior leaders, especially in the software industry. Able to build trust with executives and emerging leaders through superior communication, strategy and analytical skills.
- Relationship Building & Personal Growth: Develop strong partnerships within HR team and with leaders, stakeholders, and internal customers across AppFolio. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills across different audiences. Listening, emotional intelligence (EQ), self-awareness, growth mindset, resilience, responsive to feedback, committed to learning/self-development.
- Execution & Agility: Design, manage, resource, track, and evaluate complex programs. Skilled in strategic thinking, needs assessment, project management, event planning, vendor management, and measurement & analysis. Focus on getting things done, attention to detail, prioritization, timeliness, and performance under pressure. Bias for action. Able to innovate, pivot quickly, start small and iterate, test and learn, know when to “just go” vs. when to “go slow to go fast.”
- Diversity & Inclusion: Knowledgeable about D&I practices in a business context. Able to manage, discuss, and facilitate conversations on challenging topics with sensitivity. Connect authentically with people of all backgrounds and integrating diversity & inclusion content into open and impactful conversations with leaders.
- Dot Connector: Thoughtfully consider how events, challenges, new information and decisions may impact or connect to others and seizes the opportunity to join those people and teams. Consistently ensure that cross-functional partners and the voice of the customer are represented in the design & delivery of people practices.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- 8-10 years in Learning & Development or related experience
- Experience working closely with senior leaders, including top executives
- Track record of creating and delivering measurably successful leadership programs
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment as part of a scrappy, collaborative team, jumping in to help each other and pivoting as needed
- Evidence of ongoing personal and professional development (such as training, conferences, workshops, certifications, higher education, etc.)
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.